support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Buying second hand - what to watch out for

half diminished

Well, now I've been and done it! I'm picking up a little beauty tomorrow - a Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz Saxello. 18 months old and described as hardly played, no damage etc.

What do I check/watch out for before I hand over the 'green'?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 2nd hand gold plated R&C saxello a few years ago from eBay and I've bought quite a few other horns by that route. I have been incredibly lucky with the state of these horns basically bought blind.

The R&C is a good horn with fine tuning and pretty comfortable. The mouthpiece that came with it wasn't great, but the case is very nice and the price was OK. The action is a bit "spongy", not nearly as crisp as my Yanagisawa, but it is OK.

If you have a chance to try the horn before you hand over the cash, then here are some things to look out for:
1. Bent body (not always easy to spot, but surprisingly common and quite expensive to sort out);
2. Dents and dings - have a very good look, especially near toneholes where they might be hard to sort out;
3. Seized or sticking action - could be minor causes like a spring out of position or more significant things like corroded or bent rods and mechanism;
4. Noisy action - check for metallic clattering, probably due to missing felts or corks;
5. Bad repairs - from poor solder finishing to fitting parts from other horns that don't fit properly;
6. Damaged finish - should be pretty easy to spot, but think how much it matters to you;
7. Leaking pads - can be hard to work out how many would need to be replaced or reset and how much that might cost. If it's hardly been played, then this shouldn't be a big problem.

Overall, take a good look and then take your time playing the horn, if possible with a mouthpiece and reed that you know and are comfortable with. Playing with a mouthpiece that is new to you could make you reject a good horn.

For any (unadvertised) problems you spot, think how much they matter to you and how much it will cost to sort out, then try to negotiate the price down by that much.

Good luck

Rhys

I don't think I'd get that...looks as if someone tried to straighten it :)))

Seriously, I know Pete rates R&C highly, so good luck with the purchase....can't advise on the details as well as others could.

Rhys

This guy seems genuine and I shall get a chance to check it properly before handing over any cash. MP will be an issue perhaps as I don't have anything i know what with this being my first sop so i will have to trust the one in the bag.

Also I know from choosing the MP to go with tenor that it's a long business to get right. Maybe I should try to pick up a yam 5m or something. I used a 6 Ottolink on the alto and a 7* on the tenor but with a harder reed. Tboughts?

The price is very reasonable, Jules suggested the max I should pay and I'm well below that so it's not toomuch of a punt in the dark. Watch this space.

Wise words from Rhys. The intonation on the more modern R&C's is very good.

Although not a "true" Saxello as these were made by H.N White (the King brand) and the bell was at right angles - see my avatar.

I was fortunate to own a very nice example which I had to let go as I was made an offer that was ridiculously high and serious money.

Wise words from Rhys. The intonation on the more modern R&C's is very good.

Although not a "true" Saxello as these were made by H.N White (the King brand) and the bell was at right angles - see my avatar.

I was fortunate to own a very nice example which I had to let go as I was made an offer that was ridiculously high and serious money.

Grif

I took your advice on the Buscher True Tone I was looking at and gave it a miss. If it is as good as described it is very good value and the present owner is keen to hand it over in person and for me to be happy before making any payment.

Rhys

This guy seems genuine and I shall get a chance to check it properly before handing over any cash. MP will be an issue perhaps as I don't have anything i know what with this being my first sop so i will have to trust the one in the bag.

Also I know from choosing the MP to go with tenor that it's a long business to get right. Maybe I should try to pick up a yam 5m or something. I used a 6 Ottolink on the alto and a 7* on the tenor but with a harder reed. Tboughts?

The price is very reasonable, Jules suggested the max I should pay and I'm well below that so it's not toomuch of a punt in the dark. Watch this space.

The Yamaha mpcs are supposed to be good and I like the Yanagisawas too. Probably a good idea to get one of them in a medium or medium-closed facing, depending on what you have on other saxes. I get on OK with RJS reeds, but Vandoren are probably good too. I would say better to have too soft than too hard for trying out the sax.

Generally I prefer ebonite mouthpieces for soprano and like my Berg Larsen, Selmer, Morgan and some Vandorens.

I paid quite a lot for my 2nd hand R&C saxello, but it was something like 2/3 new price and really as good as new.

Good luck and be prepared to walk away if you don't like it.

Rhys

I hope all is well when you see the sax and i must say they are truly fantastic looking horn's and like my old Pearl Silver Borgani tenor you can tell there hand made and are very different indeed to mass produced horn's.By many thing's i have seen on other site's they have a great reputation and are so lush and dark sounding so you should be well happy.Enjoy your sax .

The Yamaha mpcs are supposed to be good and I like the Yanagisawas too. Probably a good idea to get one of them in a medium or medium-closed facing, depending on what you have on other saxes. I get on OK with RJS reeds, but Vandoren are probably good too. I would say better to have too soft than too hard for trying out the sax.

Generally I prefer ebonite mouthpieces for soprano and like my Berg Larsen, Selmer, Morgan and some Vandorens.

I paid quite a lot for my 2nd hand R&C saxello, but it was something like 2/3 new price and really as good as new.

Good luck and be prepared to walk away if you don't like it.

Rhys

Rhys

Great help. I'll try to get a MP and soft reed tomorrow. Pricewise it less than one third of what sax.co are selling them at so I'll hopefully be made up.

I use a JJ DV NY 7* on tenor but Link 6 ebonite on alto though I get much better tone on the tennir and better projection.

Well here she is

A thing of untold beauty and a pleasure to play. It's so tiny! Finish is antique gold plate so not too shiny which is nice. :)

Condition is better than I expected for the price - these are over £3k new so I got an absolute bargain!

Just a few signs of use and plays beautifully. Just need to find the right MP/reed combo to make her really sing. I can't believe how beautiful the sound is considering I've never really blown one before. Above top C will need some work, mind you I'm not brilliant on tenor above top C!

Must work on that embouchure.:w00t: Thanks for all the advice.

saxello01.jpg

saxello02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom