support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Buying a Selmer SA80 or SA80 II tenor?

Agree with Rhys. It could have been and probably was started by acid bleed. I'd try and find one without the problem, unless the price is very low.

Oops, maybe better bring this SA80 II back then....:(

It wasn't an expensive Sa80 II example but it has the best sound for me. Better keep looking for another one. On how much time will this give problems? Soon? Or maybe over 10/20 years?

Last edited:
Over a longish time usually. It doesn't polish out easily and seems to keep on eating it's way in.

I can see this starting a panic with people seeing every form of acid bleed as the infamous "red-rot" ...

Selmers are prone to acid bleed (due to feeble lacquer no doubt), I`ve seen some relatively recent Ref-54s absolutely Minging with it and numerous older Selmers (and other makes such as popular Taiwan brands and various Yanis) but have NEVER seen a sax with a hole or crack due to "Red Rot"

Here is a before and after pic of my SA 80 II. The corrosion had more of a green hue though. I used Brasso on it. I tried a few other things first like vinegar and lighter fluid, but they didn't make a noticeable dent. If the Brasso took off some lacquer, then so be it. It looks a lot better to me now. I polished it up with some lemon pledge afterwards.

Thanks for all the replies, this is a great forum. :)

Just found another shop with some nice second hand Selmer SA80 tenors. Give them a vist tomorrow to check their stock. They also sell a silver SA80 II tenor. How are those silver saxophones? What to look for? Are small scratches/cracks in the silver a problem? Do you have to polish the silver often to keep it good looking?

With silver, look for corrosion under the silver, which indicates the plating may lift. Some are lacquered, so no polishing. Others not, these respond well to silver cloths, but avoid abrasive polish, it wears the plating and can get in the moving parts. Depending on where you live, silver can be high or low maintenance. My silver saxes get a light clean every couple of months, and a proper clean every year or two.

Today I played a few other Selmer SA80 I and tenors. There was a very nice silverplated SA80 II tenor I liked very much. Wonderful sax and it plays great. It's a completely overhauled tenor so thats a plus. Just not sure what to think about this silver finish. The finish is pretty good, beside some little scratches there are no areas where the silver is gone. The serialnumber is 555xxx form 1998 so it's 12 year younger than the other laquered tenor I also like.

Now I have visited nearly all the local saxophoneshops so at the end I have to choose between those two tenors:
- a Selmer SA80 II from 1986 with a gold laquer finish with some marks/spots, not overhauled
- a Selmer SA80 II from 1998 with a nice silver finish, recently overhauled

Is there a difference in value if I ever want to swop for another saxophone? (no, not wanting to resell soon :) ).

cheers,
Anton

If Prof sees this, he'll say Silver. I like silver saxes, but they seem to go a little cheaper in the UK than lacquer. The overhaul, assuming it's been done correctly would be a big bonus.

Agree with Kev that if good overhaul, both play well and prices similar then, on paper at least, I'd go silver and learn to love it's looks (which wouldn't be a big ask)

Just bought the silver plated SA80 II tenor. :)

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• selmer-paris-sa80ii-tenorsaxofoon-s1.jpg
    selmer-paris-sa80ii-tenorsaxofoon-s1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 219
  • selmer-paris-sa80ii-tenorsaxofoon-s5.jpg
    selmer-paris-sa80ii-tenorsaxofoon-s5.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 206
Congratulations. It looks very pretty indeed.

It looks very fine.

I don't appear to have a silver sax.

This may require some thought.

Back
Top Bottom