PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Buescher's History of the Saxophone

My late maternal grandfather bought his first saxophone, a brand new Buescher True Tone silver plated alto in 1926 when he was 19 years old and it cost half a years wages, at the time he was playing trombone in a dance band and the bandleader thought it might be a good idea if somebody in the group learnt to play this 'new' trendy musical instrument - my grandfather draw the short straw...perhaps if he hadn't I might not be playing the sax today...funny enough the first sax I ever played at 15 years of age was that 1926 silver plated Buescher True Tone alto, and the first tune I played was "Bye, Bye, Blackbird"...happy days...:thumb:

Apparently the horn was one of the first Buescher saxophone imported into New Zealand...

Greg S.

Last edited:
Seems to be a nice book. I'm going to buy it one day. And Taiming the Saxophone as well. I've not updated my saxophone "library" for many years.

I owns a couple of Bueschers from the 20's. Great horns. The best one is a silverplated handburnished TT soprano -28. I also have a C soprano (bare brass and keyed to high E) made on September 10, 1923. Beuscher made approxmatly 500 C sopranos. Last version of the C sopranos were keyed to high F.

Love my Buescher tru-tone alto - I bought the book as well from Taming the Saxophone website, and ordered another because I want to frame some of the advertisement pages for my office - sure to be conversation starters! .

Love my Buescher tru-tone alto - I bought the book as well from Taming the Saxophone website, and ordered another because I want to frame some of the advertisement pages for my office - sure to be conversation starters! .

Nice to see you back, hope you are well

Jx

The Buescher book is an important part of the history and development of the saxophone. Many thanks to Pete for its "reincarnation". If a friend or relative is wondering what to get a saxophone player for Christmas or a birthday, this would make a wonderful gift.

For anyone interested in the development of the saxophone, the thoughts of some of its greatest exponents etc. I would recommend "The Devils Horn" by Michael Segell.
My daughter bought it for me about a year ago and only in the last couple of weeks I dipped into it and found it to be a fascinating read.
O.C.V.

For anyone interested in the development of the saxophone, the thoughts of some of its greatest exponents etc. I would recommend "The Devils Horn" by Michael Segell.
My daughter bought it for me about a year ago and only in the last couple of weeks I dipped into it and found it to be a fascinating read.
O.C.V.

I bought it about a year ago and have only just read it :)

An interesting read

Jx

My late maternal grandfather bought his first saxophone, a brand new Buescher True Tone silver plated alto in 1926 when he was 19 years old and it cost half a years wages, at the time he was playing trombone in a dance band and the bandleader thought it might be a good idea if somebody in the group learnt to play this 'new' trendy musical instrument - my grandfather draw the short straw...perhaps if he hadn't I might not be playing the sax today...funny enough the first sax I ever played at 15 years of age was that 1926 silver plated Buescher True Tone alto, and the first tune I played was "Bye, Bye, Blackbird"...happy days...:thumb:

Apparently the horn was one of the first Buescher saxophone imported into New Zealand...

Greg S.

Wow great story Greg.

Mine goes a bit like this

I was jammin out at 17 years of age on my flute with my older brothers rock band.

In the middle of my flute feature solo the guitarist just stopped every one and said
" thats it, we can never hear you, your going to have to learn sax". He put his guitar down, went outside to his old car, opened the boot and pulled out this gorgeous 1934 Buescher new aristocrat alto.

Long story short i payed him $150 dollars a week later ( it was 1979 at the time) and the rest is history.

i wish i still had that horn today. i've got plenty of original vintage Bueschers around the same serial number, however it would be great to still own my first sax.

ps

the bad part of this story is that the horn got reversed over while i was washing my car one Sunday afternoon. that's enough bad memories for one night!

Back
Top Bottom