support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Brains of jazz and classical musicians work differently, study reveals

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
Brains of jazz and classical musicians work differently, study reveals - Classic FM
Miles Davis is not Mozart: The brains of jazz and classical pianists work differently

A study published by the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences (MPI CBS), has found that musicians who work in the two fields demonstrate substantially different brain activity, even when they're playing the same music.

A very interesting study. I've always thought of myself as more classical than jazz and this study maybe explains why. I do tend to lean towards the need to be prepared rather than just wing it. I feel more comfortable with sheet music than playing by ear.

What are your thoughts?

The study does not suggest that Jazz and classical musicians are fundamentally different. The differences in brain activity may be due to training. There are lots of musicians who do both. I was interested by the quote from Keith Jarrett - that he would not try to play classical music and jazz in the same concert because his brain is wired differently for the two. He is successful in both genres, just not in the same concert.

Reactions: Sue
A very interesting study. I've always thought of myself as more classical than jazz and this study maybe explains why. I do tend to lean towards the need to be prepared rather than just wing it. I feel more comfortable with sheet music than playing by ear.

What are your thoughts?

Jazz players don't "just wing it" - they have prepared extensively for a different situation and are so not (very) stressed by the lack of sheet music or exact knowledge of what other band members are going to play.

I would compare jazz mindset with the preparation, and creative thought processes needed by a stand-up comedian or improvisational comedy group as opposed to an actor performing the text of a play. Both are creative and need preparation and mental arousal, but in ways that are different from each other.

Rhys

Jazz players don't "just wing it" - they have prepared extensively for a different situation and are so not (very) stressed by the lack of sheet music or exact knowledge of what other band members are going to play.

I would compare jazz mindset with the preparation, and creative thought processes needed by a stand-up comedian or improvisational comedy group as opposed to an actor performing the text of a play. Both are creative and need preparation and mental arousal, but in ways that are different from each other.

Rhys
Perhaps 'wing it' was a clumsy choice of phrase. When/if I take an improvised solo in big band I feel the need to prepare in advance as you have described. I'm not entirely comfortable being faced with chords, I'd rather have a written solo. I will improvise without sheet music however I feel less confident than when reading something. I do sometimes wonder why but I expect it's because I don't play by ear enough.

@nigeld I was also very interested in Keith Jarrett's quote. I agree lots of musicians do both extremely well.

Interesting, @Sue!

I like Keith Jarrett's comment about classical and jazz being different mental 'modes' of playing. What I didn't come across in these articles is any mention of 'personality' (=psychological preferences). Could it be that certain musicians (due to their psychological preferences) are more drawn to Classical or Jazz? And that both display (as a result of their different personalities) different brain patterns?
Mike

Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom