support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Body and Soul Jimmy Forrest

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Hi. I got this sent to me this morning. This is why i play Bergs. You tube above...apologies no links.

Lovely, but I think that most of that is coming from him rather than his piece.

Yeah man. Absolutley. I have been on Petes Blog pages. Left a kind of experimental project there. If Y,all get time. Please check it out. Comments would be great.

Good. I like Forrest! I guess you are familiar with Red Prysock version of "Body and Soul". He sings the intro. He was a very good singer as well. Nearly as good (some says Red let Art do the singing!?!?) as his brother Art Prysock. Prysock redorded the song in 1954. His is really playing piercing tenor on his version!

Thomas

Thomas. Good morning. No, man. Offhand i think i have only Two Prysock albums. If you have time can you tell me where to check it? Say hi to your amazing horns, and have a great day.

Thomas. Good morning. No, man. Offhand i think i have only Two Prysock albums. If you have time can you tell me where to check it? Say hi to your amazing horns, and have a great day.

Hi Bud,

It's on a LP called "Cryin' My Heart Out" (Saxophonograph BP 502) from 1983. I think you can buy the songs on CD nowadays. Saxophonograph is a Swedish label and the man behind the label is Mr R&B aka Jonas Bernholm. He travelled around in USA in the 70's and 80's and made contacts with lots of great musicians. This resulted in LPs with great music.

Talking about Larsens mpc's. I think Red Prysock also blew a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece. I got some information from some musicians that played with Red in the late 70's and early 80's, and they said that he was on a BL mpc and a King Super 20 tenor. I have no recordings from that time of Prysocks carrier. He was at that time with his brother Art touring mostly around on the east coast of America.

Thomas

Hi Thomas. Tremendous story man, thankyou. I am having a day off today. Need to catch up one lifes more boring stuff. Bills, insurance. I mentioned a project; details on Petes blog. I am excited as to whether i can make it work. A day off today, kinda leaves a space to think my way into aspects. All very much part of the discipline. I find it so difficult to not play. Even for a day. Later.

Hi Bud, Thomas,
Have you guy's tried Spotify? there's quite a bit of Red Prysock on there, worth checking out. By the way did you notice Jimmy Forrest's Lig, it was upside down! didn't think it would have fitted like that, unless it was a special. What do you reckon?
Rob.

Hi Rob. It does not look like a Berg lig to me. Whether or not it is a custom, i dunno. All kinds of ligs fit all kinds of mpcs. For a while i played a Dukoff and Link lig.

Hi Bud, just been thinking with you mentioning Dukoff's, did you have a D7 by any chance, and how did you get on with it?. I got an original Blue Jumbo Java T55 a few month's ago of Ebay, it's a real paint peeler but it's got a long facing and it just doesn't suit my embouchure on the high notes. It came with no Lig or cap so I took it down to Johnyroadhouses music shop in Manchester and got it paired up with a Rovner Dark Lig. The only one that would fit perfectly was for a Alto Clarinet 2RS, anyway i still had problems so I'll either sell it or swop it maybe here on the caff.
Rob.

Hi VirusKiller,
We all sound like that on Berg's, least i do!
( I think.) Rob.
Interesting. So what do all you Berg aficionados think (or know) the chamber is on the piece he's using? 0, 1, 2 or 3?

Johnny Roadhouse. Man, theres a name. I remember when Johnny and Dennis had Renos. Lovely guys. My Dukoff was a D5. Morgan Fry re worked the baffle. I played it with hard bari reeds and a standard link lig. It screamed man. My tone concept has changed since then. Do i recommed Duks? Well; they aint too pricey. Unless we are talkin Hollywoods or stubbys. You gotta loosen off on em man...i love them. Dick Parry is playin a stubby 5 now. As for the teaser. I dont know. I have not watched the clip for a coupla hours; first time i have seen it. By memory and three earlier listens; i would say a 130/1.

Interesting. So what do all you Berg aficionados think (or know) the chamber is on the piece he's using? 0, 1, 2 or 3?

I would say a o or 1 but can't be sure, i've had 1s that where as bright as 0s, but that was on an original vintage 105/1/m. The same as the new vintage they have brought out. Rob.