support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tone Beyond Altissimo

BrianJoeSandy

There are many sounds made by a sax in expert hands and more by beginners. Has anyone exploited the use of teeth on the reed? Very easy to get a high pitch glissando for instance.
BTW I have no connection with manufacturers of reeds - honestogod

No, I have never done this and nor will I... The reed is sacred.
That's really interesting that the clarinet can summon bats.. I like that. The clarinet didn't hold much appeal to me before, except to listen to others playing it, now I rather fancy having a whirl with it myself.

Last edited:
There are many sounds made by a sax in expert hands and more by beginners. Has anyone exploited the use of teeth on the reed? Very easy to get a high pitch glissando for instance.
BTW I have no connection with manufacturers of reeds - honestogod
It's no secret (I have said this before) that is how I learned to do altissimo.

Yes, it is wrong.

But for me it meant I got the note (aka squeak) easily and so could then hear in my mind what it should sound like when I went for it without the teeth.

Kind of aural visualisation.

welcome to the world of extended techniques... I think there may be some contemporary compositions that call for such sounds
different effects can be achieved depending on the positioning and angle of your teeth and how hard you bite, as well as the shape of your embouchure - feel free to experiment
In over 20 years I've never damaged a reed doing this... although the psychological damage may be irreparable

Did Getz use this technique in One Note Samba? There are three notes which sound really punchy because they are tongued rapidly and sound like an "eeekk!"

Did Getz use this technique in One Note Samba? There are three notes which sound really punchy because they are tongued rapidly and sound like an "eeekk!"

Do you have a link to that particular bit.

He plays so many notes in "One Note Samba" (yeah) that it's hard to know which bit you mean.