support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

best tech guy in the North West for bent saxes?

zannad

A bent sax can be tricky to repair...I was puzzled by the different feedback I've got for some technicians - it appears there are different methods and tools to solve these jobs and maybe some are better than others as well as some techs are more specialized for this particular jobs than others.
What are your experiences on the subject? Can you recommend a good tech in the North West? (possibly in Manchester).

No idea on who/whom, but it'd help more if yiou could say what's bent, where and how badly. Depending on the damage and instrument, replacement may be a better bet.

Hey zannad, can't think of one in Manchester, but! Stuart at Woodwind Exchange Bradford is very good, give him a ring and have a chat.

No idea on who/whom, but it'd help more if yiou could say what's bent, where and how badly. Depending on the damage and instrument, replacement may be a better bet.

The bend isn't that noticeable right now because maybe it has been straightened somehow by the previous owner, but there are some clear signs: a few distorted toneholes, and a key which is stuck cos' the post isn't properly aligned. The damage is on the upper body only, from about 2/3 of the body to the top (the lower stack and paddle are ok).
The sax is a Borgani student level manufactured in the 70's or 80's but it is still brand new like it has been stored for 40 odd years while waiting to be repaired perhaps? It's a rather peculiar sax as it has 4 left-hand palm keys; the top F# is operated by the 4th palm key! (never seen that before).

definitely sounds like a job for a good tech. Top F# sounds like a challenge.

Might be worth posting it to one of the good techs who post here - Griff or Stephen Howard. But the Bradford lead sounds good as well.

Hi Zannad

In my humble opinion and from personal experience John Clark of THE WOODWIND WORKSHOP on the top floor of Johnny Roadhouse on Oxford rd All Saint M/C is probably one of the best around see www.thewoodwindworkshop.com

all the best...john

PS you will go a long way to find a more obliging fella

Last edited by a moderator:
John, the same guy's had quite a lot of bad press here recently....

Hi Zannad

In my humble opinion and from personal experience John Clark of THE WOODWIND WORKSHOP on the top floor of Johnny Roadhouse on Oxford rd All Saint M/C is probably one of the best around see www.thewoodwindworkshop.com

all the best...john

PS you will go a long way to find a more obliging fella

I'm avoiding the fella in question which I was unfortunate to know...he left a couple of jobs half done (a bit like some cowboy builders) and kept me waiting for too long - not too mention the overcharging and some tiny dents which I found on 3 saxes after leaving his shop...not recommended anymore.

Recently discovered this shop in Fallowfield and was told there was a tech on site most weekdays. Not used him so idea good/bad but may be worth giving them a ring.

http://www.alangregory.co.uk/

Recently discovered this shop in Fallowfield and was told there was a tech on site most weekdays. Not used him so idea good/bad but may be worth giving them a ring.

http://www.alangregory.co.uk/

I know the tech guy in that shop and has done a great job on a loose neck connection of a vintage Conn - the tenon was distorted and he managed to put it back into shape (enlarging it a bit too) in 15 odd minutes while I waited...he did also reset same pads and the Conn is now more free blowing...so far so good.
I'm not sure the same guy has the right tools for dealing with bent saxes...my hint is that some technicians are better suited for certain jobs than others.

Sounds like there could a lot of work there. I don't know anyone in the northwest, but I would take it to Stuart at Woodwind Exchange in Bradford, or Steve Crow in Huddersfield. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost nearly what the thing is worth to get it fixed properly, though.

Steve Crow in Huddersfield has an excellent reputation

I've not had any bad experiences with John Clark, but i've known a few people who were less than impressed with his work - he's a nice bloke - but maybe he's overworked, so doesn't have the time to give each instrument the care it deserves

I've been told to avoid Woodwind Co in Cadishead by various people

Curly's in Liverpool send their repairs to Alan McGinnity (aka "Big Al") who works his magic from his back room in New Brighton - Woodwind Instruments, Pearl Flutes For Sale Online

I've not tried them yet, but Music Box in Hyde do sax repairs - The most comprehensive musical instrument repair service in the country

here's the NAMIR members for the north west - http://www.namir.org.uk/members/region2.asp

good luck getting it straightened out - let us know how you get on

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom