support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Benz Reeds

£3.50 each. I wonder what a 'Comfort' reed does for you ?

Stagebeat is in Farnborough so just down the road from me. I think they used to be even closer, in Farnham and I bought a few microphone accessories from them.

Rhys

I've just been reading an SOTW thread on Benz Reeds. The following is a post from said discussion:

Default Re: Benz Reeds

"I just tried the Benz Alto reeds in 2.5 power 3.0 power and 3.0 comfort. I bought them from the Woodwind music store. This purchase was the supreme disapointment of my reed life. The box is not properly sealed with plastic wrap. When I took out the first two reeds out to see how they looked it was unbeleiveable. The finishing on these reeds is the worst I have ever seen. One reed was cut off on the side upper tip so much that it could not be used. One reed had the shiny part of the cane all the way down to the tip of the reed. Needless to say those reeds did not play at all. At five bucks a reed thats hard to swallow. I found some that looked okay and I tried them. They were okay and nothing special. All of them had some issues with finishing on the tips and the sides of the reeds. I am like many of us looking for the best equipment to express my myself on the horn. I am a realistic. I did not expect all of them to play well. I know that one batch can vary from another. But these reeds or this batch of reeds is not worth it. Advertising hype does not a good reed make. I just wasted $80.00 bucks, which I have done before in buying reeds, but at least I have gotten some satisfaction with a few. Maybe another batch of reeds will be better. Fortunately I bought other brands of reeds in this shipment so I can play. I would have been better off with a nova pack of rico reeds. At least I would have gotten a few good ones. I could not find the number or web info for the benz reeds so I will not be able to let them know of my experience. The website is not interactive. All you find is a brochure. This is my experience and if you like them then God Bless you. But this will be my last time."

It was not that encouraging to be fair, so not that tempted personally.
Kind regards
Tom

I'm amazed anyone would part with that sort of money for a box of reeds unless they were raved about and everyone rated them as something special!
How on earth are they getting away with charging so much and yet there are reviews like the above out there?

I think some people are quite confused as to what they think they can charge for something!

Rgds Lee.

I've just been reading an SOTW thread on Benz Reeds. The following is a post from said discussion:

Default Re: Benz Reeds

"I just tried the Benz Alto reeds in 2.5 power 3.0 power and 3.0 comfort. I bought them from the Woodwind music store. This purchase was the supreme disapointment of my reed life. The box is not properly sealed with plastic wrap. When I took out the first two reeds out to see how they looked it was unbeleiveable. The finishing on these reeds is the worst I have ever seen. One reed was cut off on the side upper tip so much that it could not be used. One reed had the shiny part of the cane all the way down to the tip of the reed. Needless to say those reeds did not play at all. At five bucks a reed thats hard to swallow. I found some that looked okay and I tried them. They were okay and nothing special. All of them had some issues with finishing on the tips and the sides of the reeds. I am like many of us looking for the best equipment to express my myself on the horn. I am a realistic. I did not expect all of them to play well. I know that one batch can vary from another. But these reeds or this batch of reeds is not worth it. Advertising hype does not a good reed make. I just wasted $80.00 bucks, which I have done before in buying reeds, but at least I have gotten some satisfaction with a few. Maybe another batch of reeds will be better. Fortunately I bought other brands of reeds in this shipment so I can play. I would have been better off with a nova pack of rico reeds. At least I would have gotten a few good ones. I could not find the number or web info for the benz reeds so I will not be able to let them know of my experience. The website is not interactive. All you find is a brochure. This is my experience and if you like them then God Bless you. But this will be my last time."

It was not that encouraging to be fair, so not that tempted personally.
Kind regards
Tom

I had a look at the thread this came from and there were some positive posts too if anyone is interested.:)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?142922-Benz-Reeds/page2
Also found an earlier cafe sax thread (yes should have looked first I know)>:)

http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?2404-Benz-Reeds-anyone-used-them

Jx