All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories Baritone stand... Hercules?

Wonko

Locality
Belgium
Never tried or even seen one but at €95 :eek: no chance.

Locoparasaxo

Loco parasaxo View attachment 19121
I have these on the wall of my practice room for my bari and my tenor.
Very pleased with it so far. Very sturdy and stable stands!

Bari-Tenor-aan-muur.jpg

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I imagine very few sax players have welding equipment
Ooh, ooh. A new set of known unknowns

Numbers expressed as a total or a percentage?

MIG, TIG or Arc, or combinations thereof?

Owners of equipment vs owners of equipment who are any good at welding?

Does soldering count?

lydian

Locality
USA
Ooh, ooh. A new set of known unknowns

Numbers expressed as a total or a percentage?

MIG, TIG or Arc, or combinations thereof?

Owners of equipment vs owners of equipment who are any good at welding?

Does soldering count?
I'm a YAG man myself. Sounds like it's time for a new poll.

But for you welders out there, why buy a stand at all when you could just make one? And did your sax gigs get you through welding school, or did your welding gigs get you through music school (Flashpants or Flashdance)? Bonus point for anybody who gets the Flashpants reference.

Fun fact - Wilton Felder's real name was Filton Welder. He came from a long line of sax playing welders.

Wonko

Locality
Belgium
Indeed! Otherwise, why risk it?

And I bet you are tall as well @Wonko to grab these so high...
In my case, putting the saxes on the wall saves a lot of floor space. And I like the look of it as well.
Or maybe I was just jealous of my wife's guitars that are hanging on the wall in our living room ;-)

I am rather tall, but if it were just my decision, I would have put them a little lower. My wife said it wouldn't look good if they hung lower.
And to be fair, it's good like this, when I'm sitting at that table, they are high enough not to disturb me.

Wonko

Locality
Belgium
But your walls may be stronger than @saxyjt 's.
It's on an outside brick wall, about 20 years old. Quite sturdy!
I was more worried about the sturdyness of the stands themselves. But they are just fine.
I did use slightly longer screws to attach them to the wall than were included with the stands. Just to be sure ....

helen

If anyone still cares, I have had my original K&M stand for over 20 years now. Added another one 10 years later (another bari.) Then, when I got my low A Couf, I added a 3rd K&M.

If you want something really substantial, you can always spring for Andreas' bari sax stand. Same as his bass stand, but the horseshoe and bow support are made especially for bari. The parts are interchangeable with the bass cradle and bow support, so if you play both, the stand can be used for both instruments.

turf3

Locality
Earth
Take the K&M style tripod stand, cut it down (do away with all the adjustable-fit stuff) and you can end up with a stand like the picture of mine. Light weight, fits my horn perfectly, and very stable. I don't need it to adjust to fit a bunch of horns, just the one I have.

stand.JPG

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
My new Hercules bari stand arrived yesterday. Not yet tried it but will report back when I have. Thanks all for your help.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I had a Jupiter baritone stand. But I just used it at home. I didn't like having my baritone in a stand. When I played bari at a jam or a small club/pub I used to have my bari hanging in the crook. And when I didn't played the bari I took then neck of and laid down the bari in the case. A good bari stand or holder are expensive. Maybe better to hire a human saxophone holder? Just a small pillow on the floor;)

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
If anyone still cares, I have had my original K&M stand for over 20 years now. Added another one 10 years later (another bari.) Then, when I got my low A Couf, I added a 3rd K&M.

If you want something really substantial, you can always spring for Andreas' bari sax stand. Same as his bass stand, but the horseshoe and bow support are made especially for bari. The parts are interchangeable with the bass cradle and bow support, so if you play both, the stand can be used for both instruments.

Nice stand, shame about the price.

helen

Yes, Andreas' stands are not inexpensive. However, when compared to what a player spends on their bass or high-end bari sax, the price is worth it IMO.

Ask any player who has had their horn knocked over by someone--another person, or even themselves--or something--a pet for example--what those repairs cost. Depending on what kind of horn you have, and its condition, the horn might never be the same again.

Compared to that, the price of Andreas' stand is not high at all. IMO.

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
Would love that stand instead of harness (weak legs and back) but only paid £2k for my bari.

lydian

Locality
USA
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the K&M style stand. I paid $20 US for mine. It’s very sturdy and stable. I use mine for Bari and Bass and never had any issues besides having to replace a stripped screw after 20 years. I’m sure expensive stands are great, but they aren’t necessary. I’ve had some expensive stands that turned out to be terrible.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom