support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories BAM Cabine alto with metal latches?

saxflutist

I am looking for a BAM Cabine for alto sax just like the one I have for tenor, which has metal clasp-down latches - not the plastic clip-down with press-button release, which is the only version I have found in stock locally (well-known Central London store).

Does anyone know and could kindly advise where one could find a BAM Cabine for alto sax with metal clasps (latches)?

I expect comments from current case owners asking what's wrong with the plastic latches... If you have a case with these and you are happy, I'm pleased for you but I have looked at them and they don't suit me.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit that I don’t know which is the current design. I have had great experiences with Matthews Muziek customer service - even on out-of-stock and special order requests. They did a special order for me on a BAM case that they did not carry, kept the price down, and provided good communications throughout the process. I suggest you contact them.

I'm pretty sure that the metal lock ones aren't being manufactured any more. You'd need to look at the second hand market for the older model or a more out of the way store with a slow stock turn over...

I'm pretty sure that the metal lock ones aren't being manufactured any more. You'd need to look at the second hand market for the older model or a more out of the way store with a slow stock turn over...
I’m pretty sure this is correct. My older alto case has the metal latches (which are now slightly rusty), my newer tenor case has the plastic latches. I too would prefer the metal latches but had to settle for plastic as that was all that was available 2 years ago when I bought the case.

I admit that I don’t know which is the current design. I have had great experiences with Matthews Muziek customer service - even on out-of-stock and special order requests. They did a special order for me on a BAM case that they did not carry, kept the price down, and provided good communications throughout the process. I suggest you contact them.

Many thanks for the recommendation, I did not know this store and will ask them.

It is possible, of course, to simply drill out the rivets attaching the plastic latches and replace them with ones of your choosing. Just remember to use backup washers on the inside of the case shell if you use pop rivets.

It is possible, of course, to simply drill out the rivets attaching the plastic latches and replace them with ones of your choosing. Just remember to use backup washers on the inside of the case shell if you use pop rivets.
thanks a lot, I'll take a look at the DIY option and see if I'd dare !

Worth getting in touch with Gear4Music

They have a brown one on sale, worth asking them to check the latches:

thank you greenstripe. That's the BAM Cabine L'Etoile, a luxury version of the standard Cabine. I have seen it in store and compared it side by side. It does have metal latches (2 instead of 3) but it's much more expensive and slightly bulkier, so for me less preferred.

Matthew Muziek replied very quickly (indeed good customer service) but to say they only carry the current version (plastic latches). Was worth a try anyway!

Back
Top Bottom