support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Are Bari parts writtenin the treble clef??

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
I hope this isn't a silly question. I play Alto, hence my ignorance.
Are parts for Bari Sax written in the treble or bass clef usually? :confused:

The recent selling thread selling a Bari sax got me thinking about whether I could convert, but then I wondered if the parts were written in the bass clef. If they are, I don't stand a chance, but if they're in the treble clef, I might have GAS!! :shocked:

Mind you, they are rather expensive beasts, and I don't think I could justify one to the other half at the moment! :(

Mandy
I thought the convention was that all sax music was transposed into treble clef. Someone will correct me otherwise!
But bass clef is not that hard - just get used to reading a space down!
YC

They're written in the treble clef, so no prob switching between instruments (same fingering too!)

Go on - you know you want to!

And you can play all the alto stuff and still be in tune. Tenor works as well, but not with the backing tracks...

If you're playing bari, reading bass clef in concert pitch is a doddle. Just read it as a treble clef and add 3 sharps to the key signature (or subtract 3 flats).

If you're playing bari, reading bass clef in concert pitch is a doddle. Just read it as a treble clef and add 3 sharps to the key signature (or subtract 3 flats).

I try to do this in concert band situations, with bassoon parts. Generally not too difficult, but can be a challenge when there are lots of accidentals in something you're sight-reading: naturals can become flats, etc.

However, as a saxophonist for almost 30 years, all sax music I've seen is treble clef and same fingering for the notes across all saxes.
I've seen some interesting orchestrations where some of the music goes outside the range of the sax, but usually just play up or down an octave.

Alright, as a bari player, all parts are in treble clef, but once you hit bass sax... I'm pretty sure they're in bass clef. Not completely positive.

Eyup lads. B'aint this be following t' Northern firm's brass band 'keep the workers happy' policy?

Apologies for the mixed accents, just trying to show 'umble reasons for saxophonist not needing or indeed displaying the capability of learning new fingering or clefs. Aint we thick?

TBH, OG I was looking for a reason to stop eyeing up Bari Saxes :)))

I must wait until my teacher gets back off her hols and see if I can give hers a blow. It's uncharted territory as far as I am concerned, and maybe I should perfect the alto first, but....

Anyway, I'm having a break from looking at those big numbers that seem to follow Bari Saxes around on web-sites :shocked:

I've never needed to play bass clef, and I've only just taught myself the notes which are on it (since I am teaching myself music theory). I'm sure that with time I'd learn to read it if I had to. But I've been able to read the treble clef almost as long as I've been able to walk :welldone