support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Anybody out there?

Hi Gladsaxisme
I dont really feel like a "senior"--Im only 71--Got all my hair and only use specs for close work(reading etc--these new ones led me into misreading the tipgap)-
It is said that you are as young as you feel--well truthfully (apart from the body thing I feel about 8 or 9 years old
Life is a constant marvel to me-I can "fall" into any flower and slide down its stem into the 4earth and then "spreadout" and become the earth--its a lovely thing to be able to do-I remember that i could do this as a child--I have to bve careful talking to the "pensioners" in my village-they all seem to "act their age"!-I dont act--what you see is what you get.
My wife(Elec Guitar,Elec Bass,Thumb Piano--shes in her late 40s) and me are busy rehearsing a list of 25 numbers that we intend to turn into a CD towards the end of the year--I guess it will take me another 6 months or more to get back into blowing like I used to--
Pork Pie Hat--Charles Mingus
Moaning--Bobby Timmons
India--John Coltrane
Russian Lullaby--Irving Berlin
God rest ye merry Gentlemen
Trois Gymnopaedies--Erik Satie
It aint necessarily so--George/Ira Gershwin
My Funny Valentine--Rodgers/Hart
My Favourite Things--Rodgers/Hammerstein
Satisfaction--Keith Richards
Smoke on the Water--Deep Purple
Well alright--Buddy Holly
Yes my Darling Daughter--Peter Sellers film
Standin in the shadow of love--Holland/Dozier/Holland
Bells--Albert Ayler
Dragnet--Tv Series theme
Shreks Song--from the cartoon
Shish Kebab--Klezmer
and quite a few more that we are working on
I lived in India for over 15 years-Israel for 3 years andso Im very heavily "orientalised in my improviso
I Play Bf Clarinet--Boosey and Hawkes "London and Paris"-Made in 1931--with Pomarico Black Crystal Mpiece(Sun) and Rico Plasticovers 1&1/2s
Also Flute--
Yamaha Solid silver open hole hand made(a georgeous sound)
Armstrong Closed Hole with Gold plated Solid Silver head
But my Alto sax is just adorable--
Buescher True Tone made in 1926--Refurb and clear laquer over original highly polished brass
I use a 1&1/2 Rico Plasticover reed
As Ive only been playing again since late November 2010 Im taking it easy building up my embouchere again
I will move up a bit in both Mpiece and reeds in the next few weeks
I have gotten some very valuable advice on these pages for which I cannot say thank you enough to those who give it
Once again guys--THANK YOU
Regards
Mann

Benjamin Franklin--Im in the prime of my Senility!

Hi Gladsaxisme
I dont really feel like a "senior"--Im only 71--Got all my hair and only use specs for close work(reading etc--these new ones led me into misreading the tipgap)-
It is said that you are as young as you feel--well truthfully (apart from the body thing I feel about 8 or 9 years old
Life is a constant marvel to me-I can "fall" into any flower and slide down its stem into the 4earth and then "spreadout" and become the earth--its a lovely thing to be able to do-I remember that i could do this as a child--I have to bve careful talking to the "pensioners" in my village-they all seem to "act their age"!-I dont act--what you see is what you get.
My wife(Elec Guitar,Elec Bass,Thumb Piano--shes in her late 40s) and me are busy rehearsing a list of 25 numbers that we intend to turn into a CD towards the end of the year--I guess it will take me another 6 months or more to get back into blowing like I used to--
Pork Pie Hat--Charles Mingus
Moaning--Bobby Timmons
India--John Coltrane
Russian Lullaby--Irving Berlin
God rest ye merry Gentlemen
Trois Gymnopaedies--Erik Satie
It aint necessarily so--George/Ira Gershwin
My Funny Valentine--Rodgers/Hart
My Favourite Things--Rodgers/Hammerstein
Satisfaction--Keith Richards
Smoke on the Water--Deep Purple
Well alright--Buddy Holly
Yes my Darling Daughter--Peter Sellers film
Standin in the shadow of love--Holland/Dozier/Holland
Bells--Albert Ayler
Dragnet--Tv Series theme
Shreks Song--from the cartoon
Shish Kebab--Klezmer
and quite a few more that we are working on
I lived in India for over 15 years-Israel for 3 years andso Im very heavily "orientalised in my improviso
I Play Bf Clarinet--Boosey and Hawkes "London and Paris"-Made in 1931--with Pomarico Black Crystal Mpiece(Sun) and Rico Plasticovers 1&1/2s
Also Flute--
Yamaha Solid silver open hole hand made(a georgeous sound)
Armstrong Closed Hole with Gold plated Solid Silver head
But my Alto sax is just adorable--
Buescher True Tone made in 1926--Refurb and clear laquer over original highly polished brass
I use a 1&1/2 Rico Plasticover reed
As Ive only been playing again since late November 2010 Im taking it easy building up my embouchere again
I will move up a bit in both Mpiece and reeds in the next few weeks
I have gotten some very valuable advice on these pages for which I cannot say thank you enough to those who give it
Once again guys--THANK YOU
Regards
Mann

Benjamin Franklin--Im in the prime of my Senility!

Top Post and a fine inspiration!

Hi There!

I just did an internet search and came up with an Italian firm that currently produce the mouthpiece in question - in L1 (close), L2 (medium close), L4 (medium open) & L5 (open) which I took to mean the equivalent of 4, 5, 6 & 7 in terms of current common practice ( www.musiccenter.it/ ).

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Kev--Im consistently getting a "near" true reading of 1.60mm--this since I "learnt" to avoid "pushing up" the mpiece tip--since I realised that the inner surface of the mpiece tip is curved and wider at the centre--these new specs are deceptive at first--they are bifocals(I dont use specs outside or indoors except for reading and computer work)--and .20mm is rather a lot for a little bit.
And that little bit can have great bearing on the sound that we squeeze out of our horns
Anyway I guess I know a little more than I did before a couple of days ago about the tools of my skill/craft/art of being an instrument player(you are the latest of many who have helped me along the way.
One of the deepest object lessons I had was when BenWebster pulled my Sax out of my mouth onstage at Ronnies in the late 60s and screamed at me to stop faking it!One of many lessons that made me realise that I wasnt Ornette or Albert Ayler or Marion Brown or Pharoah Sanders--I had to find out who I was--and hanging out among a crowd of copyists standing shoulder to shoulder in their Italian Suits jacking up smack at Ronnies didnt help my cause one little bit
I do not play music-that I leave to musicians--I do not read a note of music but have played Sax and flute and clarinet since the early 60s--I played with Chris McGregors "Brotherhood of Breath in the 60s at Ronnies Old Place in Gerrard Street Soho--I played with my own group"Brainbloodvolume" art the UFO and The Little Theatre--but during the late 60s I found that (unlike the multitude of Bird clones and copyists)that I did not "know" myself and as I was uncomfortable even trying to copy someone elses licks--so I set out to to understand the riddle of life--eventually in India in the early 1980s abandoning playing in order to contemplate the interior of the head on the body that I was cast into.Its an ongoing individual search that not many in the Jazz/Blues/Rock world ever even admit exists.
LSD and Mescaline gave me that connection but that too was only a short term thing.
So here I am at 71 still searching for the best mpiece and reed and lig--Ive got the Sax-My beloved Buescher TrueTone--
And Im sure that I will play the Song of Creation very soon--its the song of me--I,the inner nature in this body, am a small but equal part of CREATION itself and I will sing my song!
Regards
Mann

Tom--I am grateful for your insight--Pomarico make these beautiful sounding but very fragile Crystal Mouthpieces--Im using one on my Clarinet too--a Black Crystal--Soon Ill get another larger tipped Crystal mouthpiece from them--
Regards
Mann

Filton
Isnt life as we,the few singers of CREATIONS song,know it-
a combination of Inspiration and Expiration?
Hatha Yoga--is at its root of its practice the art of breathing
Ha== in breath (Inspiration)(Sun)
Tha==out breath(Expiration)(Moon)
Through the nose!
Regards
Mann

Back
Top Bottom