PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones any one play a P. Mauriat

I've been playing one for the past 6 years, very free blowing and responsive. I tried a Selmer Ref 36 today as I had been reading good reviews and was considering one but was left very disappointed although it has saved me £5,950!! It might be me but the Selmer needed more work, didn't sit as comfortable in my hands and wasn't as loud.
As I say it's purely a personal observation and I'm sure other players get on fine with them, it just wasn't for me. So back to my trusty and faithful PMT-66
NB: try before you buy is a must for any instrument, then form your own opinion.

Good luck

Have you read Stephen Howard's reviews?
Yes I did. It was impressive. Thanks

I've been playing one for the past 6 years, very free blowing and responsive. I tried a Selmer Ref 36 today as I had been reading good reviews and was considering one but was left very disappointed although it has saved me £5,950!! It might be me but the Selmer needed more work, didn't sit as comfortable in my hands and wasn't as loud.
As I say it's purely a personal observation and I'm sure other players get on fine with them, it just wasn't for me. So back to my trusty and faithful PMT-66
NB: try before you buy is a must for any instrument, then form your own opinion.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. I wanted to see what others that have played it thought

I got my PMST-66 from Mark Barratt at WoodwindDirect 6 years ago and its the best (IMHO) tenor I've played. It fits me ergonomically and has a great sound. Great looking horn as well.
Thanks for your input , it is helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out on a Mauriat PMXT 180. It was a great horn that came with a nice Vandoren TL3 mpc and a Rovner lig. It was a bit "stuffy" sounding but very easy to blow and I thought was a great starter horn. I was renting that and when I decide to buy I tried the Mauriat 66RUL. Again I loved the horn, but the palm keys were a bit oddly positioned for me and needed to be built up (for me). I ended up with a Yamaha, but I still love sound and action of the 66RUL and may one day buy one and just build up the palm keys.

Here's what I gleaned from various reads, A PM 66R or 76R produces a tone reminiscent of American big bands, The TJ RAW is closer to the SBA/MK6 tone.

I was playing a Mark VII tenor which had more volume and is more flexible than my VI. About fifteen years ago the local music store has just gotten a Mauriat that a teacher had ordered in “Antique” finish. I played the VII and PM side by side. The PM had a bigger sound and even more volume than the VII. However, it was a little on the mellow side (darker) than what I needed for my gigs.

I sent an email to PM for their recommendation on a brighter toned model. I ordered the 66RGL from an online store that had a return policy. I wanted the lacquer finish. When it arrived I used a leak light to check it and all the pads were sealing. Again it was louder, brighter and freer blowing than the VII. It is not the “Selmer” tone but it has its’ own sound which, to me is real nice.

I used the VII as a backup for a couple of years then bought another 66RGL. I noticed the finish on the second one was a little darker. PM had changed the finish by the time I ordered the second one. Not as bright toned and not as loud as the first one but still a keeper.

In time I sent both to Tenor Madness for an overhaul. With their new pads and other special tweaking, both horns are even better than before.

As with any brand I suppose no two will sound the same so if you can order one with a “return policy” or try one locally it would be good. They have several finishes and each seem to have a little different tone. Just depends on your gigs and the sound that you enjoy.

Neither tenor have the Selmer keyboard feel (which I like better). But I am used to them now.

They are the first rolled tone hole tenors I have played. Not sure if that is why they both respond much better than my VI or VII.

As for maintenance, I see no difference in the PM’s compared to the Selmer and those who have worked on them don’t seem to have any complaints about the structure. If they do they have not said anything to me. Hope this helps a little.

There's a potential issue with rolled tone holes - if they aren't dead level, they're difficult to sort out. Some techs try to file them, but it's destructive and should never be done. Others say can't be fixed and install soft/spongy pads. If you check out videos on YouTube by saxworks in Denmark, you'll see it can be fixed without filing, but finding a tech to do this may be difficult.

I've got rolled toneholes on my 1930s Kohlert. Love it and it doesn't leak, tone holes have never been filed.

i am a 66r player too!.........got it 5 years ago! really like it but, since i got my old mk6 worked on some of my friends are telling me i sound better on the mk6, kind of made me have a GAS attack! i recently had my 66r worked on by my regular repairman who initially said it sounded chinese, now he says it has a great sound!.......what i think now? i am keeping my Mauriat 66r as my workhorse and the six is bench warming for special gigs and practice!

oh, yes i totally agree about the rolled tone holes, they are a bitch to get back if they become unleveled! this is exactly what was wrong with mine! Dam horn fell out of my backpack case to the sidewalk! after three trips to the repair shop and stress, its finally playing again!

Hey, you know what? If the magnium neck is close to the sound of the mk6 then youre RIGHT! I tried my mk6 neck and i was like WOW! In fact, i am seriously thinking about grabbing one after i finish buying the computer gear that i need to record.

I recently bought a 66RUL. I tried a 66DK. There is absolutely a huge difference between the two. I love it. I think it has a really warm sound which is what I was looking for. I have to ask how much of a difference did you hear in the two different necks?

Back
Top Bottom