support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

An Opportunity

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Café Supporter
It's coming up on a year since I started practicing again full time. I feel ready to play with others and have been seeking the chance to do so.

I have been invited to play alto with a local college big band! I am very excited. I played 2nd alto with a college big band in the 90's and had a great time. I feel even more qualified than ever.

So, this Wednesday, my new YAS-62 in hand, I will head off to my first rehearsal. I'm really going to enjoy this.

Here I go again. :) Smart music provides an excellent opportunity to play big band charts along with recordings done by professional players. The part you choose is shown on the screen. You can even change the tempo if you like. I use this feature all the time to work on my time, style, and intonation when I have a gig coming up. You can choose from any level of difficulty and pick any style you like within this genre. This is a rather poor quality recording I made using Audacity with my Shure 57 mic next to the speaker just to give an example. This is a song I like to warm up with called Absolutely Awesome written and arranged by Lennie Niehaus that is a "medium difficulty".

Here I go again. :) Smart music provides an excellent opportunity to play big band charts along with recordings done by professional players. The part you choose is shown on the screen. You can even change the tempo if you like. I use this feature all the time to work on my time, style, and intonation when I have a gig coming up. You can choose from any level of difficulty and pick any style you like within this genre. This is a rather poor quality recording I made using Audacity with my Shure 57 mic next to the speaker just to give an example. This is a song I like to warm up with called Absolutely Awesome written and arranged by Lennie Niehaus that is a "medium difficulty".

Thank you so much, John! This will be a huge help.

It's coming up on a year since I started practicing again full time. I feel ready to play with others and have been seeking the chance to do so.

I have been invited to play alto with a local college big band! I am very excited. I played 2nd alto with a college big band in the 90's and had a great time. I feel even more qualified than ever.

So, this Wednesday, my new YAS-62 in hand, I will head off to my first rehearsal. I'm really going to enjoy this.
Well done, I hope you have a great time!

First rehearsal last night. I'm playing 2nd alto. We have a concert on November 8 and we're playing these tunes:

Manteca
The Way You Look Tonight
The Chicken
Moanin'
Sweet Punkin
Prayer Meeting

It was fun. I like the music. Everyone was friendly and I got over my feelings of intimidation. I didn't get the charts ahead of time, so I was sightreading the whole time. THAT was a challenge! But I've got the music now to work on as well as recordings to play along with so I will be better prepared next week.

It was a good time and I was pleasantly surprised by how well I was able to blend with the other saxes. I have a pretty bright tone so I was concerned, but it didn't turn out to be problem.

First rehearsal last night. I'm playing 2nd alto. We have a concert on November 8 and we're playing these tunes:

Manteca
The Way You Look Tonight
The Chicken
Moanin'
Sweet Punkin
Prayer Meeting

It was fun. I like the music. Everyone was friendly and I got over my feelings of intimidation. I didn't get the charts ahead of time, so I was sightreading the whole time. THAT was a challenge! But I've got the music now to work on as well as recordings to play along with so I will be better prepared next week.

It was a good time and I was pleasantly surprised by how well I was able to blend with the other saxes. I have a pretty bright tone so I was concerned, but it didn't turn out to be problem.
Nice one!