support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tone Altissimo G

There's a big section on overtones in taming the sax vol 2. The first few exercises use fundamentals from low Bb to low A. And although he gives exercises with a lot more overtones, Pete suggests not worrying too much if you struggle to get past the second overtone on each note. It's certainly possible to get overtones from notes higher than low A. I should do more of these exercises, I've only ever bothered with first overtones.

But remember that as soon as you press the octave key, you're playing an overtone, not a higher fundamental. Which is why the sound changes so much between the registers, and why a soprano sax in the lower register sounds fuller than a tenor in the high register.

But remember that as soon as you press the octave key, you're playing an overtone, not a higher fundamental. Which is why the sound changes so much between the registers, and why a soprano sax in the lower register sounds fuller than a tenor in the high register.

While practising overtones I keep thinking that using overtones rather than the octave key would make the sax sound bigger in more rock orientated or musically busy environments.

I'm guessing that I'm not the first person to explore this idea?

While practising overtones I keep thinking that using overtones rather than the octave key would make the sax sound bigger in more rock orientated or musically busy environments.

I'm guessing that I'm not the first person to explore this idea?
Pete's book is great on this subject.

glad I found this post
Im going through the same issue at the moment and also trying to play money
I think its a little ambitious but hey we all need a little challenge
So I will check out petes overtones lesson and keep on practising
Thanks for all the tips
Oh by the way I have an allegro Yamaha 575 tenor and ive gone from a 6* jody jazz hr and 3 marca reed to....
the same sax but a claude lakey 8* metal gold plated with a 2.5 marca
have I jumped too far from a 95 facing to a 125 facing ??????
I am getting some squarking on lower notes but I intend to practice long notes to rectify this.
allansto

A few month's ago I posted my attempt at Dexter Gordon's solo on Watermelon Man, where I failed utterly to hit Alt. G. I've been practising ever since and still can't get it, and now I've been challenged to play Money by Pink Floyd, which, of course, uses Alt. G - in fact, it's probably the most iconic part of the solo.

I'm obviously missing something. There's no point spending hours practising something if you're practising the wrong thing. Dexter hits this note with an unbelievable ease so I should be able to hit it after some serious practise.

What did you practise to become able to hit this note?

I find G pops out very easily using the fingering in shown (left 1 (B) with side F#, together with side Bb to stabilise it.)

Forgive me tho - having played Money with several PF tribute bands - is'nt the high note in the solo Alt G#, which again pops out well the fingering shown (left fingers 1 and 3, right finger 1 and side C).

Attachments

• Altissimo_Tenor1.png
    Altissimo_Tenor1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Good job @Veggie Dave !

I haven't really consciously worked on those overtones or altissimo notes yet, but ran into them by accident while experimenting with so many different mouthpieces. But I have to say that it sounds like something I should be trying, now that I am starting to get a better grip on the tenor.

Squeaking my way up the scale sounds like an exciting project! :D

I find G pops out very easily using the fingering in shown (left 1 (B) with side F#, together with side Bb to stabilise it.)

Forgive me tho - having played Money with several PF tribute bands - is'nt the high note in the solo Alt G#, which again pops out well the fingering shown (left fingers 1 and 3, right finger 1 and side C).
yes your right G#