support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

AH UM Gig venues please

navarro

Locality
LONDON
Hi All, I am finding it increasingly difficult to go and listen to cafe/bar gigs in the London area, the reason being by the time I plow through the internet and the mis-information which purports to be a gig guide I literally give up.

Is there a comprehensive publication which lists same. I do not want the well known international venues but more localized information.

I reside in the SW6 area of London and will travel within the public transport system. I do read the Gig Guide on the forum but nothing much happens in my area. (Last one being the Orange Big Band I think in Mile End) Unfortunately I was out of town that weekend.

It is essential to my sax education that I see and hear such groups. Any suggestions ?

Here is an example of what I am coming up against. We have `The Fulham Big Band.` who hold a regular session on a monthly basis in our local hospital. I have tried browsing the band but there is no information. Where else they play, where they rehearse etc. There is no specific info on the hospital gig.

Will travel , love gigs, reasonable wine and jazz, classical ensembles etc. No rap, synchronised swimming and fire eaters please. regds N.

YO NAVARRO:

Did you know that bassist Charles Mingus recorded an album entitled "Mingus Ah Um"?

It's true or it couldn't be entered here.

Hal

Jazz in London lists all gigs. 606 club is very near to you but I realise unless you are a member it can cost a fair bit. Another option is the Lower Ground Bar in West Hampstead on Tuesday nights. Jazz in London publication should give you many more options

YO NAVARRO:

Did you know that bassist Charles Mingus recorded an album entitled "Mingus Ah Um"?

It's true or it couldn't be entered here.

Hal
Yes indeed Hal, that man was my hero together with Eric Dolphy. His music (Mingus.) had an air of being of basic jazz root but interwoven with complex chord sequences and tempo changes. And the album `Ah Um` is recognized as being one of the definitive greats in jazz composition. My other Mr. Mingus favourites are `Peggy`s Blue Skylight.` and of course `Re-incarnation of a Lovebird.` Seventy bar chorus, can you imagine jazz composers today writing anything like that. The other thing I most admire about his composition is that the whole score was left open to individual interpretation not just the solos.

I would have loved to have seen him but as far as I know he never did a UK concert during his life. Regds. N.

Jazz in London lists all gigs. 606 club is very near to you but I realise unless you are a member it can cost a fair bit. Another option is the Lower Ground Bar in West Hampstead on Tuesday nights. Jazz in London publication should give you many more options

Thanks Nakedlunch I used to go to the 606 when it was in Kings Road. Then the club moved to Lots Rd. and they started having televised gigs there I stopped going, reason being it lost in my opinion it`s previous atmosphere. It then became the `Place to be seen.` awash with Gucci and Amani my humble Roland Blaylock suit was a little out of place (Black velvet collar on dark plum red material.16 inch drains and thick crepe rubber wedges. (From my 50s Ted days.) Anyway thanks for the info and I will pop down to the newsagents and get `Jazz in London` Regds N.