support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Advice for first gig.....

2mg of Valium? How rediculous for a start is prescription only is it not? Wonder what your gp would say when you ask him for some Valium to calm your nerves at a gig? Just enjoy yourself that's the main thing, by the time you go on stage you'll know the set inside out anyway and once you get through the first 30 seconds you'll be fine, it's the just not knowing what to expect bit that gets you at the beginning once that's out of the way you'll want more and more.

• Don't drink unless you drink when you practice.

My point was, whatever you do when you practice, do the same at your gig so that you keep that variable the same. If you have a drink at practice, have one at the gig. If you take valium before a practice, take it before the gig.

Personally, I like to practice in the nude.

We don't get many return gigs :rolleyes:

It's a quartet performance in a pub, not a solo debut at the Carnegie......:confused2:

One person could walk out at the Carnegie without a qualm, another would have an anxiety attack at the local pub, everybody has different stress levels you cannot judge others by your own.

And even if it was, it's a really, really bad idea.

Based on your personal experience?

2mg of Valium? How rediculous for a start is prescription only is it not? Wonder what your gp would say when you ask him for some Valium to calm your nerves at a gig?

As he would know you, probably yes.

Flippin' heck?!! you don't need drink or drugs - you're doing a gig!! I love gigging.....it's all about attitude - do what I do - go out there and show off!!! :thanks2:Don't forget the audience will be in awe because they can't do what you can!

I'm tee-total due to health issues so have never played under the influence the thought fills me with horror - I get my buzz/high/kicks from gigging :happydance:

Here is my background
- I'm a jazz organist, gigging since my 13 so I've always felt that gigging is for fun. I grew up playing here and there with many people from pro to beginners and I can't help you in not feeling anxious but I could give you some advice. I'm at an intermediate level with sax. However I have taken part in about 20 gigs playing sax. In Tenor-Trumpet ensembles. Easy stuff.-

Here is my advice for gigs.
-1- Never push your self to play something you just achieved or learned.
-2- Never play something you don't like. Music is art. And art has to do with emotions. Don't play with your emotions.
-3- Avoid playing with people that make you feel anxious. True Pro (not show-off) players know well how to help/back newcomers. Whatever that means. Playing with your teacher should make you feel proud of you and him at the same time.
-4- Play something that is below your current skillset. It will help you be confident. I always do that. I play "safe".
-5- Enjoy it as much as you can up there. If you feel wonderful people at the audience will get the nice feedback. And that's good for you.
-6- What they will not understand is that one note that you'll miss. It's part of the fun. Even pros make some mistake sometimes. The difference is that they have the ability to make it sound great. So if something goes wrong keep playing keep youur concentration. 99% nobody will understand but you. :)
-7- keep gigging. For me 1 hour of gig = 4 hours of gig rehearsal = 10 hours of practice. BUT you should follow this chain from the end to the beginning.
-8- While doing a soundcheck, try to go in a position (because you are in an ensemble) and ask the sound guy to listen well the others. Sometimes people don't pay attention to that and struggle to listen each other. And that's mostly because the sound guy has had a few pints before during and after the gig :).
-9- Double check before you leave that you didn't forget anything that you need. In my guitar years I was doing all my FX connections at home, counted my cables etc to be sure. Always someone forgets something. Lucky sax players!!!! We just get our sax ( ok ok and our wireless mic and our stand and our extra reeds and our gadgets and and and ....... hahahaha)

Have a nice gig. Play your parts without watching the sheet if you can.
And welcome to the wonderful world of gigging:) Watch it! It's more addictive than GAS :)

s.

One person could walk out at the Carnegie without a qualm, another would have an anxiety attack at the local pub, everybody has different stress levels you cannot judge others by your own.
If the second person can't learn to control that anxiety, perhaps they should consider another hobby/career, rather than shutting down some of their brain function with chemicals.

Based on your personal experience?
To a very limited extent, yes. I took vallium once, to get me through a coach journey at a very difficult time (I'l spare you the details). I don't remember the dose. It sort of worked in that I felt like a zombie all afternoon and didn't care about anything. I promised myslf not to do that again and I haven't, in 30 years.

My comments are mainly based on second-hand experience. If known a fair few people with drug problems over the years, especially alcohol. It's not romantic, or heroic or funny. It's tragic.

As he would know you, probably yes.
I fear this is all too true. IMO, many GPs are far too casual about what they will prescribe.

Last edited:
If the second person can't learn to control that anxiety, perhaps they should consider another hobby/career, rather than shutting down some of their brain function with chemicals.

Don't really agree,one could be a fantastic player,but could be so nervous at public performance,why should that person change their hobby,Robbie Williams used to get physically sick before a performance but that hasn't stopped him doing what he is good at.

What ArtyLady says is spot on go out there and show off and enjoy every minute.

Last edited:
'Can't learn to control that anxiety', you make it sound so easy perhaps you should get together with General Patton.
I don't think anyone having a panic attack regrets having 'some of their brain function shut down' for five minutes while they regain control of their sanity.
There is a lack of understanding of even such minor mental illness as anxiety and panic attacks because there are no physical signs and so the sufferers obviously have nothing wrong with them.

If your teacher thinks you're good enough, then you are good enough - you may not feel that you are, but as players we tend to notice our own failings more than our strengths. Everyone makes mistakes and there's no such thing as the perfect performance, the key is to not let any 'mistakes' fluster you and just keep on regardless. Chances are you'll be the only one who notices - the audience are there to enjoy themselves, they're not an examination board about to pass a damning verdict because you fluffed a note.
Try not to be judgemental about your playing as you're doing it - I've done gigs that felt terrible at the time, but listening back to recordings now, they sound great.
It's normal to be nervous before a gig, anyone who's not is hiding it behind a mask of bravado
If the anxiety is getting to you, learn some kind of relaxation or meditation techniques and practice them every day before you practice the sax - a far better solution than resorting to potentially habit forming chemicals.
I get terrible nerves before a gig - I've got some coming up in March and I'm starting to get jittery now, so if I can conquer my stage fright, so can you. Good luck, you'll be fine..

this may be of interest - Six Golden Rules for Conquering Performance Anxiety - http://www.davidleisner.com/guitarcomposer/noname.html

'Can't learn to control that anxiety', you make it sound so easy perhaps you should get together with General Patton.
Where the hell did that come from? Playing a gig is not the same as fighting in a war. That seems quite clear to me.

I'm not claiming it's easy, but if it's making you feel like that why would you want to do it?

I don't think anyone having a panic attack regrets having 'some of their brain function shut down' for five minutes while they regain control of their sanity.
Hardly the same as cold-bloodedly planning to take drugs in advance to get you over gig nerves.
If your sanity is that fragile (and I don't intend any criticism of anyone who's in that position) then perhaps it's not the wisest thing to go out of your way to be in a stressful situation.

There is a lack of understanding of even such minor mental illness as anxiety and panic attacks because there are no physical signs and so the sufferers obviously have nothing wrong with them.
I am hardly in a position to make light of anyone's minor mental problems. I had no intention to do so, and resent the implication that I did.

This discussion has become too acrimonious, so I am leaving it here (after replying to Jazzdoh's message).

Don't really agree,one could be a fantastic player,but could be so nervous at public performance,why should that person change their hobby,Robbie Williams used to get physically sick before a performance but that hasn't stopped him doing what he is good at.
It seems to me that Robbie's career has brought him a lot of money and even more unhappiness. Unfortunately we live in a society which increasingly regards money as the only thing that matters, so he's seen as "a success". I wouldn't have his life for anything.

What ArtyLady says is spot on go out there and show off and enjoy every minute.
Yes, definitely!

Never play something you don't like. Music is art. And art has to do with emotions. Don't play with your emotions..
"Sorry chaps - I'm ducking out on this number. Not my cup of tea really"
I wouldn't last long in a band doing that.

It would be stretching a point to call what I do "art" anyway. But it's definitely music.

It seems to me that Robbie's career has brought him a lot of money and even more unhappiness. Unfortunately we live in a society which increasingly regards money as the only thing that matters, so he's seen as "a success". I wouldn't have his life for anything.

Yes, definitely!
Yes i agree i would like some of his money,but not his lifestyle .

Just get someone to pop a paper bag behind you (as long as you don't suffer from any heart conditions!) You should be able to cope with anything after that!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom