support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Absolute Mouthpieces News

Interesting to see that the baritone 3D has the option of a 20mm extra length to help suit (some) vintage baritones that need a larger chamber to tune well.
A longer shank doesn’t necessarily compensate for chamber volume, at least not across the entire range. It can be useful if the mouthpiece causes sharpness and so would otherwise be hanging off the cork, but it won’t necessarily cure tuning across across the two registers.

I noticed that some vintage baris, notably 12m and Martin Hancraft/Committee can work well with a chamber less than your average huge chambered pickle barrel. The PPT was developed along with those two horns with the Signature version being very much based off a Slant Link.

A longer shank doesn’t necessarily compensate for chamber volume, at least not across the entire range. It can be useful if the mouthpiece causes sharpness and so would otherwise be hanging off the cork, but it won’t necessarily cure tuning across across the two registers.

I noticed that some vintage baris, notably 12m and Martin Hancraft/Committee can work well with a chamber less than your average huge chambered pickle barrel. The PPT was developed along with those two horns with the Signature version being very much based off a Slant Link.
That is interesting: Any chance you could compare the overall length of the Signature with the original Slant?

Interesting to see that the baritone 3D has the option of a 20mm extra length to help suit (some) vintage baritones that need a larger chamber to tune well.

It's tempting.

Rhys

I seem to remember an 8 tip Absolute baritone piece in Sequoia's workshop.
If there is enough interest we might organise a passaround

That is interesting: Any chance you could compare the overall length of the Signature with the original Slant?
The original Slant is about 136mm and I think signatures have been between 137mm and 140mm but Janeen some special orders for longer ones up pt 150mm that generally have a brass ring. My own opinion is that it isn’t necessary because they should work well and maybe a more relaxed embouchure is the ticket. However I made a decision to now make them if possible a consistent 140mm.

I agree that a longer small chamber with the same volume as a shorter wide chamber does not have the same tuning characteristics throughout the instrument range.

An extended shank can help and can't do any harm ! Especially useful for "modern" small and medium chamber mouthpieces.

I have the Berg Larsen ebonite mouthpiece played by the late, great Ronnie Ross on his 12M, and it has a significant shank extension which was added by his excellent tech, Bill Wrathall. It doesn't make the mouthpiece tune perfectly on a 12M but it does provide a secure hold when the mouthpiece is positioned for optimum tuning.

Rhys

I have the Berg Larsen ebonite mouthpiece played by the late, great Ronnie Ross on his 12M, and it has a significant shank
I've also known of people having a neck extender.

But you know my story I presume:

I've also known of people having a neck extender.

But you know my story I presume:

I think a neck extender isn't such a good idea as it affects all mouthpieces.

And I do know your story - I get a name check in that quoted section !

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom