support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones A Rich sounding Tenor sax with a very good ergonomics and ease of fast playing

Id say long live sleepers! I got 4 top quality saxes for the price some people buy only one!
But thats me. Look at my signature and avatar. Beaugnier guy here.
I cant be like most people are.
have you seen the film "quadrophenia"

"I dont wanna be like anyone else. Thats why im a mod." see?

QUADROPHENIA7439_thumb1.jpg

Id say long live sleepers! I got 4 top quality saxes for the price some people buy only one!
But thats me. Look at my signature and avatar. Beaugnier guy here.
I cant be like most people are.
have you seen the film "quadrophenia"

"I dont wanna be like anyone else. Thats why im a mod." see?

QUADROPHENIA7439_thumb1.jpg

I must admit looking at your signature you have some really cool gear - a Wurli, a Fender Rhodes, Tele, 12 string Ricki... you lucky bbb...person you...:thumb:

Greg S.

Nahhh, the Pruple is bright enough (if I want brighter, I`ll use the LAW piece with the bullet chamber) and a lot more versatile ....... the RAT is ending soon, at the price it is, it`s a bargain .

I'm known as the Step Hunter I think!!! Having some discussions with a couple of people in the USA via a pal of mine. Their view of Stephanhouser was that quite a few went to shops/retailers on a sale or return basis before Step went bust. A number of the retailers kept them aside for a while to see what was going to happen with the administrators, hence some "old new stock" keeps coming onto the market.

Four models - 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000. Best being 1500 and 2000 - pro models. Also did tenors and sops but they are few and far between. Not certain of the quality of these either.

The 1500 I find very similar to the 875 Ex I had to sell. Really solid horn but heavy. The 200 was a 1500 bhut with silver neck and bell. These retailed at around $3000 new I am told.

Here's a duke for pennies.
This is exactly like mine!!!!!!! The price is shocking
Even professionals think these are student models!

That`s because it looks like one , there doesn`t look anything whatsoever refined on it from those photos to differentiate it above a MexiConn or a Bundy-II and the engraving and the Vito logo look positively cheap ........ I`d have passed it over for a Yamaha or Yani made Vito by those photos too . just goes to show that appearances can be deceptive .

Well ProfJames you have a point there. The added cost is big especially when it's in questionable "playable" condition.
My alto duke cost me totally about 1000E including the overhaul of my dreams, no simple repad. The lacquer is showing its age but I don't care. The sound i get from it is huge and effortless.

Ads thank god I'm not judging a book by its cover when it comes to musical instruments.
All I care about is how well it's constructed, how it feels when I play with it, and if the end result is satisfying for me when I play and/or record it. Lacquer wear sometimes make me proud. Because some saxes that have lacquer wear mean they were loved a lot just by the wrong kind of players :)

I know you are a Yamaha guy/expert. When I bought a YTS-23, its lacquer was far from perfect and this affected its price a lot. I remember people telling me I'm stupid I'm buying such a "rat" as you say. When I got it professionally overhauled what came out of it was an amazing sax. And more important, truly amazing for the price! Next to friend's modern Mauriats, TJs and Conn-Selmers it was miles ahead. Their saxes were shining but sounding awkward. Mine with a Phil Tone otto-link had all that Cool Jazz vibe of my dreams. Sometimes I think about buying a 25 to experiment with altissimo with the combination of F# key :).

The 21 RAT I had was a killer, it`s just sold on E-Bay for £144 (the dealer I PX'ed it to sold it) - someone has unwittingly won a fantastic horn for a silly low price because E-bayers DO judge books by the cover . as I said, it took a fine tuned Pruple 62 to rip it from my grip.

We`re all the more knowledgeable now about those Vito "Duke" models being made by Beaugnier and not some East German maker or farmed out to Conn's factory in Mexico or wherever student USA horns like Bundy-IIs are made.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom