• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes A little stuck

TenTenMajek

New Member
Messages
4
Location
UK
I'm currently borrowing my sister's sax for lessons whilst I search for my own.

However, I'm a little stuck on what the best option would be. My mum & sister have given me their advice but I'd like to hear other opinions too.



I'm looking for an alto sax that will last for quite a while as with my current apprentice salary I won't be able to even think about upgrades.
I've been hunting through ebay and have come across a few that look good but I also only have a budget of just over £200



Thanks in advance
 
I'm afraid you won't get much for £200.

If you go for a used horn it's likely that whatever you buy at that price is going to need some repairs. Your best chances of getting something reasonable would be to stick to the reputable budget brands. A Trevor James 'Classic/Horn' or a Jupiter 700 series (I'd steer clear of the 500 series). Avoid Earlham.

That's not so say you can't pick up a bargain, but it requires some experience and at least a little technical knowledge.

Perhaps your best bet would be the basic Gear4Music alto at around £250 new (or, if they have any, a 'B' stock item at around £200).
They're cheap and cheerful, and can be excellent vale for money - but the onus is on the player to check that all is well when the instrument turns up. You'll also need to budget another £30 or so for a decent mouthpiece (a basic Yamaha piece) - but you can buy this at a later date.

Otherwise, keep an eye on the Yardsale section of the forum.
 
I'm afraid you won't get much for £200.

If you go for a used horn it's likely that whatever you buy at that price is going to need some repairs. Your best chances of getting something reasonable would be to stick to the reputable budget brands. A Trevor James 'Classic/Horn' or a Jupiter 700 series (I'd steer clear of the 500 series). Avoid Earlham.

That's not so say you can't pick up a bargain, but it requires some experience and at least a little technical knowledge.

Perhaps your best bet would be the basic Gear4Music alto at around £250 new (or, if they have any, a 'B' stock item at around £200).
They're cheap and cheerful, and can be excellent vale for money - but the onus is on the player to check that all is well when the instrument turns up. You'll also need to budget another £30 or so for a decent mouthpiece (a basic Yamaha piece) - but you can buy this at a later date.

Otherwise, keep an eye on the Yardsale section of the forum.

Thank you for your help! 🙂
 
I am playing basic gear4music tenor, and it goes great. It has been checked by technician before, yet the instrument is great I think (and not only for what it costs). You can play it for years without needing upgrade.

I was checking yesterday the offer of Thomann, also amazing for price and with enthusiastic reviews (it is my guess the sax are more or less the same), Thomann has reputation for good quality control, useful for beginner.

At the end you shouldn't need much, if not an expert eye checking your purchase is all ok (return policy is very easy for both)
 
I think a budget of £300 would be more realistic than £200.

A used Elkhart Deluxe would be another good option. But you would need to budget for a service if you buy a used sax.

The cheap Chinese saxophone manufacturers and dealers save money on quality control. So even if you get a new instrument, you need to get it checked - it might be faulty. Gear4Music have a good returns policy.
 
@Stephen Howard - I spotted a Nuova NAS-3 for sale for £160 the other day, allegedly in superb cosmetic and great playing condition.

This is the one you reviewed here: Nuova AS3GL alto saxophone review

Would that be a go-er for the OP? Not tried one myself.

If so, I'll PM the OP the details of where I saw it. Still for sale I think. Not sure if they'll post but the OP can enquire.

Otherwise, buy one of these if this one isn't still for sale: For Sale - Jericho alto saxophone in gold and nickel
( See also: Academy Jericho J6 alto saxophone review )

Steve would no doubt agree on the Jericho. Not made any more but occasionally comes up on eBay (rare). I have one, but I'm keeping it!
 
Last edited:

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,263
Messages
576,111
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom