support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A Guitarist writes...

szodiac

Locality
NW London
Hi all,

My name is Tony and I'm a guitarist,

Without sounding too much like an AA confession, I've play the 6-string axe for over 40 years and came to the conclusion that I needed a change. Have always been interested in jazz but found I'd moved away from rock etc. and listen mainly to Trane, Miles, Cannonball, Pine, Rollins etc. Also, my change of direction was intensified by seeing piano player Stan Tracey play and meeting the great man. So to learn the sax seemed the next logical step. And here we are with a Yami 25 alto, BW Tenor and currently a stinking cold so no sax until that clears up!

Welcome to the Cafe. Hope your cold clears up soon. :)

Saxophones are lots of fun. ;}

Hi Tony,
From another sax wielding guitarist, welcome. How long have you been playing the saxes?

Ooops!!! and another sax wielding guitarist..Hi Tony and welcome to the Café..

Chris..

Is this a takeover bid???

Big welcome from me, have fun!

Welcome to the caff©, Tony.

There are some mean banjo pickers here as well. Fancy a 'grass session?

ENJOY!​™

Hello szodiac. I play guitar too but it was other people who decided I needed to change. Be careful what you wish for is what I sez to them.
Mike

Hi szodiac

Welcome to the cafe hope you enjoy the chat.Sorry to hear it took you 40yrs to realise you were playing the wrong instrument but hey we all make mistakes...All the best and happy new sax year...John

“In Rock you play 3 chords and have 1000 people listening, but in Jazz you play 1000 chords and have 3 people listening!”
~ Frank Zappa on differences between Jazz & Rock music

Just love that quote.
“In Rock you play 3 chords and have 1000 people listening, but in Jazz you play 1000 chords and have 3 people listening!”
~ Frank Zappa on differences between Jazz & Rock music

Hi Tony, welcome to the Cafe :)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the welcomes and various comments!

I've been playing the sax for about three months after trying the clarinet for two months before then. I don't regret my time playing guitar/bass as a creative outlet and making some good friends along the way.

Whilst writing I was wondering if anybody has seen/got a book called Jazz Theory by Andy Jaffe. It seems to have vanished from the face of the earth or maybe gone out of print. it's been recommended by a few other experts and I'd like to know if it's worth trying to find.

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the 'funny farm' :))) well the mad house at least :shocked: >:)
I'm another sax wielding guitarist but my foremost instrument is the piano. Stan Tracy is my idol. Played a lot at Ronnie Scotts with all the greats both sides of the pond! One in particular comes to mind is our own Pete King! Pete's an Alto Saxist that plays a lot like bird.

I won't bore you further *picks up anorak and leaves*

I too pluck as well as blow, and my name is Tony. Spooky..........
This is The Cafe, and you're welcome to it.

Back
Top Bottom