support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Backing Tracks A collection of legal backing track sources

This site BiaB Latin and Jazz has a vast number of jazz standards written out as mgu. files. These save an enormous amount of time inputting the chord changes to a tune, and provide the framework to shape the backing track any way you like.
Great resource. Took me a while to find a way to read .mgu files without Biab, but musecore2 works quite well.

Thanks for posting.

For those who are a bit more adventurous and DON'T wish to play standards the Cafe (this site) has a section under "your sound clips" called "Wikiloops Backing Tracks". These are all originals categorized into genres with an example sax track and then the same without the sax for you to give a shot. The challenge is to NOT have a known tune and the opportunity to fit your interpretation (melodic or otherwise) on to the backing. It's about being ORIGINAL and not just another copier.

You have the opportunity to be creative by hearing, playing and anticipating through the changes or modal backings. It can be made simple by listening over and over, or you can challenge yourself to play along at the first hearing (real time advanced improv.) There's around 200 tracks there with more to come if people like/use them. Don't treat this section like most forum threads by just going to the last track. Instead pick a category/genre and find a track you like. Up to you if you post your rendition or not. Playing known tunes is OK, if that's where you want to wind up. If looking to develop improvisation skills or work with professionals who create music then wikiloops tracks can potentially give you that experience.

Last edited:
I have been looking for a source of backing tracks that can do a Boogaloo Jazz style, which I don't think is covered in Band in a Box. I stumbled on an App called "SessionBand" which seems promising. SessionBand Music App for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

It seems to be Apple-only at the moment, but it does cover a wide range of styles, not just jazz. It seems to have been developed by a British company and uses top UK musicians so is based on real recorded instruments rather than Midi. Here are some of their videos:

I haven't bought it yet.

Does anyone on the forum have experience of the SessionBand App ?

Rhys

Reading a little, it sounds great, but has several volumes, each purchased separately. Up to 10 chords inversions isn't at all like BiaB, and BiaB covers most genres except bugaloo ;) I'd like to try it, but only have a small iPod Touch.

Yes, I've only got an older iPhone so the screen size is small. I might try one of the three jazz collections and see how easy it is to build up a track.

It would be nice if SessionBand "talked" to iReal Pro to take advantage of all those ready made chord charts for jazz standards. Perhaps it already can.

I guess one option may be to make a basic track with SessionBand, export that as audio and then develop it further in BiaB or in a DAW.

Rhys

I just had a quick go at Jazz 1 and was not impressed.
The choice of chords does not seem to include a plain major, plain minor, 6 or a dominant 7, for example, and the user interface seemed clunky to me.
I’m not sure what it is for, but iRealPro seems far more versatile if you just want to make backing tracks.
But it may be that I was missing something.
The sounds are recorded by real players, so they are good.

I just had a quick go at Jazz 1 and was not impressed.
The choice of chords does not seem to include a plain major, plain minor, 6 or a dominant 7, for example, and the user interface seemed clunky to me.
I’m not sure what it is for, but iRealPro seems far more versatile if you just want to make backing tracks.
But it may be that I was missing something.
The sounds are recorded by real players, so they are good.
Were you using it on an iPad or something with a smaller screen ?

And did you have to buy it or was it some sort of demo version ?

That's hard to believe if the App really doesn't provide such basic chords.

Rhys

Were you using it on an iPad or something with a smaller screen ?

And did you have to buy it or was it some sort of demo version ?

That's hard to believe if the App really doesn't provide such basic chords.

Rhys

I bought it, so I was using the proper version running on a large iPad.
But I got bored with it very quickly, so I have not given it a proper trial. I'll have another go sometime soon.
The chords seem to contain obligatory 9 or 13 or the like.
All very cool.

I bought it, so I was using the proper version running on a large iPad.
But I got bored with it very quickly, so I have not given it a proper trial. I'll have another go sometime soon.
The chords seem to contain obligatory 9 or 13 or the like.
All very cool.
What did you buy? Jazz volume 1? Oops you said vol 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded Jazz Volume 2 onto my iPhone and have been playing around with it. It is usable on the small screen size but I am finding the same sort of issues that @nigeld described.

Initially I found it quite slow to build up a track but that is getting quicker as I get more familiar with the layout and functionality. The Booglaoo style is OK but because the chords I want to use are fairly straightforward they probably don't suit the strengths of this App and the resulting loops are very repetitive. It doesn't seem to be as flexible as BiaB in that regard and I haven't detected it using any substitutions.

I noticed that the Demo 3 track for the Boogaloo style is called "Side Winder"(guess what is supposed to sound like) and will try to use some of the same chord types and fills that it does (mainly 7(13) and some m7(9) chords).

At this stage I can't really see what the App is for, but maybe that is because I am already familiar with the much more expensive and capable Band in a Box.

Rhys

Hello all.

I'm just jumping onto this band wagon! (no pun intended )
What I would like are some MP3 backing tracks using real musicians, jazz standards mostly.

I'm using iReal Pro at the moment, which is great because you can adjust the temp, highlight sections to repeat, change chords, etc. But the rhythms are a little limited and the sound is a bit stale.

Any current suggestions? I see this thread is 2 years old now.