support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A Cafe Saxophone Challenge

Sweet Dreamer

Hi everyone.

I wrote a song called "Welcome to the Saxophone Cafe". It just drums, sax, and a few lines of lyrics.

I wrote this with drums and sax "in hand". Thus, I can play both parts superficially. However, neither my drum playing, nor my sax playing is real great at the moment, so what you are about to hear is a computer-generated mp3 from Melody Assistant. The sax sounds more like an accordion, but the artificial drums aren't too bad. I did put in the vocals live. ;}

So my challenge to all you horny sax players out there is to play this piece for us (I've included a backing track with just the computer-generated drums for that purpose. And since there is no bass guitar, or anything else, you can probably play this in any key.

I might add also, that you're totally welcome to just improvise over this backing track in any way you like. You don't need to use the melody that I wrote here for the sax. It's not all that great anyway. So anything you play over this backing track will be fine.

I'm hoping this sick computer-generated sax recording will inspired some of you to play for us the "real thing".

Ok, so here it goes:

This is the full song with computer-generated sax:

http://users.csonline.net/designer/stuff/sax_cafe.mp3

Here's the backing track with drums and vocals only to play over:

[/URL]http://users.csonline.net/designer/...sers.csonline.net/designer/stuff/sax_cafe.htm

Well, there you have it. I'm looking forward to hearing someone play this. If you have a whole band don't be afraid to redo the drums and vocals too. ;}

And remember, improv is perfectly fine. Take it wherever you like. They key doesn't really matter since you're only playing against drums.

I'm working on trying to create a live recording of this myself. I have the drum part down pretty well, but I'm still working on the sax part. I didn't leave myself enough room to breathe between phrases! But I trust that you more experienced players can handle this.

Let is hear your raspy horn! :welldone

Attachments

• sax_cafe.jpg
    sax_cafe.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Sweet dreamer....gee you are well named!
Unfortunately I will not take up your Challenge.

Good on you for posting though!

Off to practise those loverly scale thingies!
Enjoy

Well, take a little time out from your scale thingies and just play some scales to this backing track. Keep in mind I said that improv is cool and you don't need to play the actual melody that I wrote :cool:

Holy moly! I bet everyones practicing like crazy, i,m not sure what Simon Cowel would think to your singing though!

Well, you've got to look at the bright side. After my vocals anything is going to sound good! So it only helps to make the sax player look better. ;}

But on a serious note though, I did offer for anyone with a band to redo the drums and vocals too. In fact, if they improv the sax as well they'll have a whole brand new song.

Then I can at least feel good about being the "seed" of an idea that came to fruition. :mrcool

It does apprear that both tracks have sax?!..... well done for making the effort!

Are you sure? I just downloaded it to check and I don't hear any sax in it.

I could upload a new backing track with drums only and no vocals. That would make Simon Cowel happier.

I'm actually working on trying to record the drum groove live. But I'm not sure if my drumming is any better than my vocals.

Well they both have a sythesized melody! Agree one has an overlay of 'sax'....

Are you sure? I just downloaded it to check and I don't hear any sax in it.

I could upload a new backing track with drums only and no vocals. That would make Simon Cowel happier.

I'm actually working on trying to record the drum groove live. But I'm not sure if my drumming is any better than my vocals.

Well they both have a sythesized melody! Agree one has an overlay of 'sax'....

Ok, this was truly weird.

When you questioned this, I actually used the link in your quote of my post to download the file. That link downloaded the correct file.

However, now that you're still questioning this I went back to the original OP and saw that when I hovered the mouse over the link it was actually pointing to the wrong file (even though the link itself actually had the correct URL in it). That's was really strange!

So I edit the link and it should be working now.

Sorry for the error. Let me know if you get it without the sax melody this time.

By the way, if there are any singers out there who would be willing to redo the vocals I promise I won't be offended. ;}

I'm definitely not a singer and I know it. I just thought I sounded a little better than the computer generated vocals. :)))

I can upload just the pure drum track by itself if anyone would like to redo the vocals. It should be sung in Eb as a lead-in for an Alto sax I suppose.

Let me know if you'd like a pure drum track without the vocals. ;}