support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

7-Eleven stores in L.A. move from big band jazz to classical music

Account Closed
Sort of.
This story may or may not be readable to everyone, but the headline caught my attention. The reason for that is that when I lived in L.A. in a decade long ago and far away, some 7-Eleven (convenience) stores were open all night. You could buy a used car in L.A. at 3 AM, or do grocery shopping at a supermarket. My experience was that late at night in 7-Elevens, big band music would be blaring. I always thought it was to keep the employees awake.

"The roar of traffic along Camarillo Street in North Hollywood doesn’t drown out the soaring strings of Pachelbel’s Canon in C.

The classical music continues all day and all night. It’s not coming from some stranger with a violin sitting on the street, but a set of speakers bolted below a glowing 7-Eleven sign."

It's not a new tactic. And Pachelbel's Canon is in D not C, which is why cellists like me hate it. You play that ground bass over and over again and you have to keep hitting that C#, which is a stretch and is a challenge to keep in tune.

I don't see why they have to be so cruel to passers by with classical or any loud music.
Why not shift the trespassers with hoses and dogs.

Last edited:
@randulo it's definitely usually in D... Here's a period instrument version with violins, chamber organ, archlute, and bass continuo (cello)
View: https://youtu.be/JvNQLJ1_HQ0

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 13.31.38.png

Yes, someone thought it would be a good idea to play it on piano in C.

Could be they get a better class of homeless over there and 7-Eleven know what they are doing playing the wrong version.
'Oh my darlings everyone knows Pachelbel's Canon is in D not C, this is too too insufferable, we shall have to regather at Walmart's I believe they are presenting a Rachmaninoff retrospective featuring a well known English cellist.'

It's not a new tactic. And Pachelbel's Canon is in D not C, which is why cellists like me hate it. You play that ground bass over and over again and you have to keep hitting that C#, which is a stretch and is a challenge to keep in tune.
At least your part is easy to memorize. :)

Many years ago I was in a group that played Pachelbel's Canon, and the cello player used to get so bored that he would go into a trance, and it was quite difficult to get him to stop playing. We only performed it once in public, and he continued for 3 or 4 bars after the rest of us had finished. But it actually sounded OK like that.

Many years ago I was in a group that played Pachelbel's Canon, and the cello player used to get so bored that he would go into a trance, and it was quite difficult to get him to stop playing. We only performed it once in public, and he continued for 3 or 4 bars after the rest of us had finished. But it actually sounded OK like that.
A real "basso continuo". :) :)

This topic reminds me of the time I was a teacher and asked the members of the class to name their favorite "classical" piece of music. One little boy said the "Taco Bell Cannon" was his very favorite. Taco Bell is a chain of fast food Mexican restaurants in the U.S. ;)

That's priceless, jbtsax.
I will soon know tenorviol's pain for a second time in my life when I play bari with a quartet in a couple of weeks.

Why are they called 7 11 if they're open all night and how do you tune a cannon?

That's priceless, jbtsax.
I will soon know tenorviol's pain for a second time in my life when I play bari with a quartet in a couple of weeks.
It's a lot less painful on a bari... what makes it challenging on the cello is if your left hand is in 1st position on the neck of the cello, notes you get on the G string are open G, 1st finger A, 3rd finger B, 4th finger C. To get C# requires a stretch, which gives: 1=A, 2=B (that's the stretch) 4=C#. Getting that C# consistently in tune is where the challenge lies... (apart for the boredom of the ground bass).

It's a lot less painful on a bari... what makes it challenging on the cello is if your left hand is in 1st position on the neck of the cello, notes you get on the G string are open G, 1st finger A, 3rd finger B, 4th finger C. To get C# requires a stretch, which gives: 1=A, 2=B (that's the stretch) 4=C#. Getting that C# consistently in tune is where the challenge lies... (apart for the boredom of the ground bass).
I was forced to play viola in my string methods class even though my fingers are quite short so I know what you are talking about. :(

Back
Top Bottom