support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

2012/06 - Laura

I love songs like this. Not that I'm able to play it like it should, but hey, that is no reason not to draw a lot of air into the bellows and honk merrily along to Laura.

I found no backing track that includes the verse, only the refrain. And since I have Band In A Box 2011 (never bothered to learn it though) I thought, how hard can it be? Luckily, (if you're not to bothered with the end result) it's not hard at all :) BIAB even has a Jazz Ballad Style for Laura.

Great rudjarl.... loved the relaxed impro

Last edited by a moderator:
So here comes my take, based on Rune's transcription. As I said before, I didn't know the verse so far, and I had to trust this transcription.
[/URL]
While I thought Clivey really took up the challenge brilliantly and was a very good arrangement :welldone..... I thought dexdex frankly took it to a new level..... I.... think ... I ... might ... not ... have ....a .. go.. this .. time... :crying: What a Load of Bull*hit... Of cause I will contribute a version ... we all have our own feel for a tune.... Now to the practice room ;}
Adrian

As promised, here is an Alto version: http://rudjarl.mittnettsted.com/music/Laura_240.mp3. As I recall it, I didn't promise to make it a good one.

One of the fascinating aspects of this wonderful tune is that the tonic chord is heard only once, and that is on the last note of the song. It meanders fancifully through ii-V-I's in other keys right up until the end which makes for a great improvisation study. As a teacher, it is great to see how positive and supportive this forum's members are toward each others playing. That's what it is all about---not competition.

Hi All. It seems I've got to catch-up with some new versions.

Rune, your alto take is very pleasing from a horn playing point of vue. Is it your main horn ? You sound more at home than on tenor. But the tempo is really brisky for that song. It says "Ballad of the Month" somewhere, no ? ;}

Saxplorer, another alto take. Another key too, very nice singing interpretation on that horn. It sounds like you remain very cautiously "inside" the dots. It is not an easy song, as someone said, you almost never go through the "home key".

On my side, I did some homework. I'm a long time B3 fan, and a Joey Defrancesco Laura backing was winking at me (Aebersold 118). Checked it out. Ouch ! They take it at a breezy bossa pace. Well, no risk, no fun. But no ballad anymore ...

As usual, those Aebersold backings take so many choruses that I run out of ideas. But who cares, this one was fun to play.

http://www.burckhardt.li/caverne/SOTW/LauraBossa.mp3

Hi dexdex that was giving Laura a good 'bossa workout ;}

I love Latin music of all types . It just makes me yearn for going abroad to warmer climes. This version is just the thing to get the blood warm.

Oh.. listened to both Saxplorers and Runes new additions to and as usual they are of great listenability:welldone I liked Saxplorers backing this month. I know it`s not about the backings but it`s always nice when the backing adds to the piece.

Speaking of Backing Tracks.

I`ve posted a smootchy smooth version of Laura on the backing kindly donated by Chris. My old Conn is almost impossible to play at the moment So many leaks and this was a hard track to keep in control.

I`m starting to get depressed about this as I know my whole playing is suffering simply due to the leaks that I am compensating for.

It really needs seen to badly. To be honest I just can`t afford to get her seen and I just point blank refuse to risk damage by attempting anything major myself. I have Stephen Howards book and I suppose If needs must I might be forced but not any time soon.

New track at myspace link

Back on a real computer, I could finally listen to Clivey's smoky version. Nice take, despite the leaky horn. Not easy to play it that slowly, as you need to support those loooooooong notes. Well done, thanks !

Anyone else around ?

I'm not gonna provide a 3rd take...

Hey Rune, it is getting to that time again. Get your thinking cap on, it's your shout this time..:thumb:

Chris....

Hi Chris, I've done my thinking and landed on a nice, commonly known, but not often played little piece. (Actually I had my mind made up already when I did my contribution for this month:) )

The song: Ebb Tide. On youtube there are loads of versions. I think it's in a few Abersold books too. Notes can be printed in all keys from Wikifonia. The sun is shining (although admittedly, it looked rather wet for all of UK), sky is blue and just a few days of work before the holly days... Ehhh, it's a nice playable piece though :)