PPT

2012/06 - Laura

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Locality
Løten, Norway
Rune, that was a lovely quicker tempo version. You got the feel of the tune really well.

Chris..

Thank you Chris :)
I'm thinking about doing an alto version to. If I can make it almost light and bubbly. We'll see...

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Re: 2012/05.. God Bless The Child

Yep, that's the one.

I`d have loved that Sinatra backing... but instead heres my minimalist 40`s swing sound. Excuse dodgy multitracked Tenor/ Sop. Mind you I thought the last bar sounded pretty trumpetty.;}

Song is at usual myspace link at bottom

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England

Nothing wrong with minimalist Clivey. Sounds very good and a good contrast to the version Rune posted. It really is good to hear how we all play these tunes.Overall a very easy listen..

Chris...

rudjarl

Locality
Løten, Norway

Sounds good Clivey, nice and relaxed.

rudjarl

Locality
Løten, Norway
INFO:
the web hosting company I'm using, mittnettsted.com, is down again. I expect that is the cost of being a skinflint. Last time this happened it was down for two days. Hope they are a bit quicker this time.

Perhaps it's time for finding a web hosting company with a better accessibility.

Chris98

Thank you Chris :)
I'm thinking about doing an alto version to. If I can make it almost light and bubbly. We'll see...

Hi Rune,

You were too quick this month, so I think we deserve an alto version as well ;}. This tune is new to me so I'm hoping for lots of versions to listen to this month.

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris98

INFO:
the web hosting company I'm using, mittnettsted.com, is down again. I expect that is the cost of being a skinflint. Last time this happened it was down for two days. Hope they are a bit quicker this time.

Perhaps it's time for finding a web hosting company with a better accessibility.

I use drop box a lot, and so far I've not had an issue, 2GB free online storage. I think I also have a Sound Click account but I seem to have misplaced my log in details.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Got it now and the pdf, now the dummy question what key do you suggest for alto...... Thanks john

rudjarl

Locality
Løten, Norway
Got it now and the pdf, now the dummy question what key do you suggest for alto...... Thanks john

Hi John, I suggest you play in the key that matches your backing track :) ... There is an error in the A-part of the PDF. I'll post an updated version tonight.

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
It's about time I threw my hat into the ring. Here is my version https://www.box.com/s/207c5b3dc3e3d70d92ad

Chris..

Well Done Chris . Tone V good and your timing is really improving.
Re the impro It`s a wee bit vague but believe me I don`t think this is an easy number by any means and for the time you have been playing your results are fantastic.

These ballads are very deceptive. They all sound so easy until you actually try to get something. Then they do a great job of exposing all your faults and needs, but hopefully we get better on our machines than we were before so it all makes sense.

It would be great to hear some more takes this month. I can`t wait to hear Dexdex it will be a cracker:welldone

dexdex

Locality
Switzerland
So, I could do some listening.

Clivey, you took the challenge of a unison with a soprano. Scary ! But you did it, and the mix sounds very sweet. Nice feel during the solo. As someone said, we're all gonna sound quite different on this song, as it isn't such a beaten standard.

Speaking of soprano: you know the definition of a half-tone ? 2 sopranos playing unison....

Chris, you sound so concentrated ! Like walking on ice. I assume you WERE that concentrated, as some of the corners are pretty slippery on that tune, and the result is very clean. Maybe you could relax a bit and let it go ?

So here comes my take, based on Rune's transcription. As I said before, I didn't know the verse so far, and I had to trust this transcription.

http://www.burckhardt.li/caverne/SOTW/Laura.mp3

rudjarl

Locality
Løten, Norway
Here is a corrected version of the sheet:
http://rudjarl.mittnettsted.com/docs/Laura.pdf

That's great Chris. Those slow ballads are real buggers, but you are getting there :)

Dexdex, that was really nice. Playing like that is something to strive for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Hey guys thanks for the comments, if I don't concentrate I fall of the edge Dexdex... I do know what you mean though. It would help to learn the tune rather than just reading it...Your version is very good something to aim for.. Clive the improv side of things is at the top of the practice list..

Chris...

Latest: Members' Recordings