All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

2012/06 - Laura

dexdex

Ok ! :thumb:
Yesterday I played at a Company's anniversary meeting, t'was a nice garden party, and someone asked for "Laura". Though I knew the tune a bit, we had never played it in that setting (sax + rhythm). We played it reading our real books. Wasn't the best version ever played:( ...
I decided it was time to work on it. So let's pick it for this month.

dexdex

"That was Laura, but she's only a dream"

Love that tune. Spike Jones, Charlie Parker, JJ Johnson, Dex, so many great versions.

It is in the Real Book 2. It is also included in Aebersold Vol. 34. Drop me a line if I can help.

Dexter Gordon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48nMOrHJRFQ&

Last edited by a moderator:

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Re: 2012/05.. God Bless The Child

Ok ! :thumb:
Yesterday I played at a Company's anniversary meeting, t'was a nice garden party, and someone asked for "Laura". Though I knew the tune a bit, we had never played it in that setting (sax + rhythm). We played it reading our real books. Wasn't the best version ever played:( ...
I decided it was time to work on it. So let's pick it for this month.

It it a version of this Laura?

BigMartin

Laura: good choice. Good movie, too.

One of these months I'll get round to having a go at one of these before the month is up.

saxplorer

As ever, Julie London delivers the melody superbly ...

dexdex

The real good old Real Book II, are you sure ? I have it on p.203 in the C version.
PM me your email. Tell me if you want it for C, Bb or Eb ?
Btw it is also in The New Real Book Vol 3. It is easier to read, simpler transcription and cleaner fonts.

Clivey

Yep, that's the one.

What a gorgeous tune. I`d heard it of course but now I`ve given it a few run throughs I love it . Not sure if I`ll be able to pull off a respectable impro>:) but a challenge awaits.

Oh I`ve got a sheet in C and have also knocked out a Wav backing if anybody is struggling to find the goodz;}

rudjarl

I love songs like this. Not that I'm able to play it like it should, but hey, that is no reason not to draw a lot of air into the bellows and honk merrily along to Laura.

I found no backing track that includes the verse, only the refrain. And since I have Band In A Box 2011 (never bothered to learn it though) I thought, how hard can it be? Luckily, (if you're not to bothered with the end result) it's not hard at all :) BIAB even has a Jazz Ballad Style for Laura.

johnboy

Always a favorite on the radio. Sunday afternoons, Family Favorites, roast beef and yorkshires..... Spike and "I Went to Your Wedding".
Ah wonderful memories. I think I'm going to cry!

dexdex

Always a favorite on the radio. Sunday afternoons, Family Favorites, roast beef and yorkshires..... Spike and "I Went to Your Wedding".
Ah wonderful memories. I think I'm going to cry!

His trombone player is just .... irresistible and hilarious :w00t:

OK. I hope it wont prevent us from uploading our own versions. I'm working on it, it isn't exactly the easiest song. Sorry folks. :)

Clivey

I love songs like this. Not that I'm able to play it like it should, but hey, that is no reason not to draw a lot of air into the bellows and honk merrily along to Laura.

Help . That was quick Rune. I almost missed it until you coloured the link red. I`ve got loads of practice to do before I`ll be recording mine. I liked your very chirpy version and also pretty energetic impro. Well done.

You can now ponder the shout for July>:)

dexdex

The heck ! I also missed it. Rune, thanks for opening the month. I must admit, I think I never heard the verse before, so this is a real Première for me. Congratulations.
Your tone is surprising and rather unusual. Very suave, it fits the hollywoodish theme quite well. I prefer the slow vibrato you use on the theme, rather than the one in the impro.
I wasn't planning to play the verse, so this will be a challenge. Do you have the music written (with the chords) ?

rudjarl

Thank you :)

........Do you have the music written (with the chords) ?
Indeed I do. It can be found here as a PDF

Oh, and Clivey, working out which tune for July is going to be fun :)

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Rune, that was a lovely quicker tempo version. You got the feel of the tune really well.

Chris..

Top Bottom