support Tone without tears Beginners' impro Patterns & exercises

Selmer shoelaces?

Stephen Howard

Aglets - dontcha hate them? Always falling off, causing all manner of fuss and bother. And if you try a DIY repair it lasts about two weeks - and then you're back to square one.
And I'd had enough.
No, superglue! No, heatshrink! No, cheapo ebay jobbies! Enough is enough!

So I looked at the problem...and then looked at all the tools and materials at my disposal and came up with a cunning plan. I'd make my own brass aglets...and my own aglet press.
Woss an aglet? It's that little tube on the end of a shoelace that keeps the end from fraying. Not to be confused with an Oglet, which is a part of Liverpool - or an Uglet, which is a particularly manky soprano sax - or even an Iglet, which is, of course, a small igloo.

I knocked up a couple of prototypes and eventually settled on a set of dimensions that would work for my purposes - but then it occurred to me that rather than just using plain old brass tube, I had a drawerful of old sax keys. A quick tour with the hacksaw later and I had a nice lump of brass rod ready for the lathe. Drill a hole, turn the O/D, cut to length, stuff the lace in and press the tube on. Done and dusted.

And here they are - my Selmer aglets.
OK, so they're not Selmer Paris aglets - I had a couple of mangled Pennsylvania keys knocking about...but it's the thought that counts.

So if you have frayed shoelaces and a sax key you're not using (side F# is a good bet) - I can sort you out!

sax aglets.jpg

Are they re-lacquered or original?
I guess thats the most predictable response but at least I was first :w00t:

Seriously though !
Quality!
Judging by the sound they make as they tap against my boots when I walk I'd say they were original.
Got quite a few Ultra-Cheap Chinese keys knocking around...might be worth seeing if I can put them to good use...

Very cool, but for a beginner, a no name "Aglet Repair Set Package: include 1 hand tools with 64 pcs and 4 colors" is 20 quid on Amazon.
Is that not good enough? Sure, they won't tie well enough for a professional walker, but good enough for a quick walk to the shops?

Very cool, but for a beginner, a no name "Aglet Repair Set Package: include 1 hand tools with 64 pcs and 4 colors" is 20 quid on Amazon.
Is that not good enough? Sure, they won't tie well enough for a professional walker, but good enough for a quick walk to the shops?
Tried those...they're not much cop. They all work on the same principle, which is one or a pair of crimps. They don't have much holding power, even if you use a bit of glue. All the factory-fitted aglets are done so with a combination of heat and compression - which is why they last the longest. Once they go, though, you're stuck with DIY solutions that are temporary at best.
I reckon my sax aglets will outlast the laces.

Back
Top Bottom