PPT mouthpieces

Tone Quacky, "nasal" tone around low G/A/B on alto.

As an afterthought: The duck call has a sawtooth signal while the sax sound is more curvy. This means that there are too much high frequencies in a duck sounding saxophone. Small leaks give a lot of extra high frequencies in the sound and reduce the lower ground frequencies'. In this way very small leaks could also be a reason for duckiness.

As an afterthought: The duck call has a sawtooth signal while the sax sound is more curvy. This means that there are too much high frequencies in a duck sounding saxophone. Small leaks give a lot of extra high frequencies in the sound and reduce the lower ground frequencies'. In this way very small leaks could also be a reason for duckiness.
Thank you. That's fascinating. I have found some improvement switching reeds. Also some improvement by using the neck from my old alto. However it's just a little bit loose so not ideal (and therefore presumably a bit leaky), and I think the tuning is worse with it again. The fit of the old neck is very good, and the cork is also a very tight fit (as opposed to on my old alto neck). But I wonder if there could be a slight leak at the neck octave pip. SOOOO many variables!

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand.
Just like playing notes in the 2nd (or 3rd octave) withOUT OK pressed it is a good exercise to play the notes in the 1st octave WITH the OK pressed.
Chances are good you get a picture where the resonance is, and what you have to do to hit the note where it really is.
Try it until you can do it, maybe you will be surprised how you sound once you close the OK.

Just like playing notes in the 2nd (or 3rd octave) withOUT OK pressed it is a good exercise to play the notes in the 1st octave WITH the OK pressed.
Chances are good you get a picture where the resonance is, and what you have to do to hit the note where it really is.
Try it until you can do it, maybe you will be surprised how you sound once you close the OK.
Ah okay gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I will try that.

Really.
I thought it would be the opposite.
What you hear and what you can measure are often different things. In general the fundamental harmonic of a sax has a lower volume than the second. Small leaks work as extra octave holes and reduce the fundamental harmonic more than the higher harmonics.

Back
Top Bottom