support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Your Favorite Jazz Saxophone Recording?

My favourite `So long Eric.` Utube , This is a videod rehearsal in Stockholm 1964. Mingus ribs Eric about his sojourn in Europe. Tragically Eric Dolphy died two months later in Berlin. Best regards N.

Oregon DEFINITELY counts -- I was the jazz DJ at my university radio station when "Out of the Woods" came out and it was amazing. Of course, I adored Free Flight and others who combined disparate elements besides straightahead jazz.

One favorite is impossible for me, as well. Four Bros is up there, of course, but for sheer amazement I can't think of a better one than Supersax's rendition of Scrapple From the Apple, complete with the Charlie Parker "Famous Alto Break" transcription.

For those who will start the inevitable Supersax debate, please relax. I don't want any trouble here.................

Does Oregon count as Jazz......while I cant give one fave its definitely on the sort list along with Kind of Blue

My favorite of the "Cool School" era is the Gil Evans composition "Boplicity" from the Miles Davis album "Birth of the Cool".

Lee Konitz and Gerry Mulligan are great on their horns along with the 7 other men, which include a Tuba snd a French Horn!

Give "Boplicity " a listen to on YouTube...the phrasing is utra cool, with those flatted fifths giving it that "special" touch.

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom