All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Your Favorite Jazz Saxophone Recording?

Hal the Elder

I'm an old man, so I'd say my favorite Jazz Sax performance is the 1947 recording of Woody Herman's "Four Brothers", by Jimmy Giuffre, featuring Stan Getz, Zoot Sims, Herbie Steward, and Serge Chaloff.

All played Tenor, except Chaloff, who played Baritone Sax.

I believe all are now deceased.

HAL

Jazzaferri

Does Oregon count as Jazz......while I cant give one fave its definitely on the sort list along with Kind of Blue

navarro

My favourite `So long Eric.` Utube , This is a videod rehearsal in Stockholm 1964. Mingus ribs Eric about his sojourn in Europe. Tragically Eric Dolphy died two months later in Berlin. Best regards N.

Oregon DEFINITELY counts -- I was the jazz DJ at my university radio station when "Out of the Woods" came out and it was amazing. Of course, I adored Free Flight and others who combined disparate elements besides straightahead jazz.

One favorite is impossible for me, as well. Four Bros is up there, of course, but for sheer amazement I can't think of a better one than Supersax's rendition of Scrapple From the Apple, complete with the Charlie Parker "Famous Alto Break" transcription.

For those who will start the inevitable Supersax debate, please relax. I don't want any trouble here.................

Does Oregon count as Jazz......while I cant give one fave its definitely on the sort list along with Kind of Blue

Hal the Elder

My favorite of the "Cool School" era is the Gil Evans composition "Boplicity" from the Miles Davis album "Birth of the Cool".

Lee Konitz and Gerry Mulligan are great on their horns along with the 7 other men, which include a Tuba snd a French Horn!

Give "Boplicity " a listen to on YouTube...the phrasing is utra cool, with those flatted fifths giving it that "special" touch.

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
You mean apart from "A Love Supreme"?

OK, then.

"Slightly All The Time" from Soft Machine Third.

Hal the Elder

HEY CHRIS:

Henderson's high register sound reminds me of Paul Desmond's alto! Very nice!

Duke Ellington owed a lot to Billy Strayhorn!

HAL

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Duke Ellington owed a lot to Billy Strayhorn!
A few famous leaders seem to owe a lot to writers/arrangers...

"Henderson's high register sound reminds me of Paul Desmond's alto! Very nice!"

That was one of things that caught my ear...

Chris..

Hal the Elder

Yeah! Bird's "Embraceable You" is an example of improvisation at it's highest form!

You can tell he's playing the changes, but there's just enough of Gershwin's melodic line to tie it all together.

Hal

Greg Strange

Just freaking GREAT -- now that song's rampaging (not merely running) through my brain!!!
You definitely need to a buy a soprano sax to experience first hand the playing of this wonderful piece of music...:))) - still taking the p***

Cheers from downunder...

Greg S.

musicalmechanical

Frank Morgan - Mood Indigo (1989) - with Wynton Marsalis and Al Foster. just a quietly beautiful album.
that or Saxophone Colossus (i got tickets to see Sonny in london in november! :thumb:)

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom