Photo contest

Yamaha YAS-21 - replacing bumper holders in key guards

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Following on from soda blasting the 21 - see: Bare brass temptation - I'm rebuilding the sax now and had to get the new silver bumper holders into the guards.

Here's what worked so easily for me...

20230610_173420.jpg

20230610_173713.jpg

20230610_173755.jpg

I found I had to use different sized sockets to fit inside the guard and stay flush with the guard's inner face. The bumper holder has to be able to fit into the socket, check before starting to press them in.

Might help someone someday!

Following on from soda blasting the 21 - see: Bare brass temptation - I'm rebuilding the sax now and had to get the new silver bumper holders into the guards.

Here's what worked so easily for me...

View attachment 23141
View attachment 23142
View attachment 23143

I found I had to use different sized sockets to fit inside the guard and stay flush with the guard's inner face. The bumper holder has to be able to fit into the socket, check before starting to press them in.

Might help someone someday!
I've done something similar in all sorts of applications (press fitting bearings and the like) using a g clamp and a socket. Can help to put the thing being pressed in the freezer for an hour or so. Can shrink by a few tens of microns which can be just enough to make the filling easier.

I've done something similar in all sorts of applications (press fitting bearings and the like) using a g clamp and a socket. Can help to put the thing being pressed in the freezer for an hour or so. Can shrink by a few tens of microns which can be just enough to make the filling easier.

That approach can work very well for metal parts, I wouldn't put plastic in the freezer (as these holders are) as it can become brittle and break.

That approach can work very well for metal parts, I wouldn't put plastic in the freezer (as these holders are) as it can become brittle and break.
It's a while since I had a YAS 2x sax, but I thought those holders were metal. I agree that putting plastic in the freezer is a bad idea - not only would it make them brittle, but the negative expansion would be negligible.

Back
Top Bottom