• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Would brass polish clean this up?

Messages
82
Location
Utah, US
Level
Mediocre
So I picked up a project horn on the bay and fixed most of the issues. I want to turn around and resell it as a beginner horn. It has some finish wear and I am curious if there is any way to clean it up a little to make it more visually appealing to someone who might want a student line American horn? I know some brass cleaners are abrasive, and didn't want to cause swirling and such.
IMG_9011.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9014.webp
    IMG_9014.webp
    56.5 KB · : 66
Elkhart 20A or 30A. Old-school lacquer formula.

It is gonna take a LOT of elbow grease to get that one cleaned up nice without disassembling and doing some sorta bath (chem or sonic) submersion.

Best solution (no pun intended) is doing what I just mentioned - disassemble it, take body and neck to a tech, have them chem or sonic clean it followed by a soap wash and rinse. Take it home then hit it with a paste cleaner and microfibre cloth.I cannot imagine that would cost more than $50.

Maas, Wenol, red tube, Blitz are three good, medium-aggressive polish choices.

Here is a situation where Brasso and Noxon WILL START TO DISSOLVE THE LACQ at the borders where it is already gone (IOW will make the bare brass areas larger).

So those other three are better choices.
 
Now you said you fixed the issues yourself - so am assuming you can take it apart and reassemble yourself.

If you do not wanna use a tech, buy some Wrights Copper Cream, and give it a warm water bath and slather that stuff on everything (not the keys obviously) , rub in with a sponge, rinse. The red should start to disappear.
You may need to do 2 applications.

Soap rinse and follow with the paste polish cleaning. That'll get t looking 50% better than it does now.
 
If you do not wanna use a tech, buy some Wrights Copper Cream, and give it a warm water bath and slather that stuff on everything (not the keys obviously) , rub in with a sponge, rinse. The red should start to disappear.
You may need to do 2 applications.

Soap rinse and follow with the paste polish cleaning. That'll get t looking 50% better than it does now.
I would test the Wrights Copper Cream in a small area. A friend used this product on a Conn trumpet. The Conn Luster finish came off.
Warm water ?? Too long in water that’s too warm will also remove lacquer.
 
On a project like this I would test a small area with Flitz All Metal polish. I haven’t had any issues with lacquer. Removing the red rot to a desired quality look is hit & miss.

Contact them directly for product advice.
 
So, I purchased the copper polish, and yes it cleans it right up with a little elbow grease. Obviously the lacquer has worn off, so it's a stark contrast between the red/rusted look, and the cleaner look.

The horn plays well top to bottom. It's just not attractive.

IMG_9030.webp
IMG_9126.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9125.webp
    IMG_9125.webp
    171.1 KB · : 75
That doesn’t look so terrible. Are you going to do anything to the surface to seal it against further attack? Just applying something like Meguiars Cleaner/polish will slow the natural processes and allow it to darken (patina) without going green or red (corrosion usually associated with moisture).
Smart idea Dr G. I'll look into the Meguiars Cleaner/polish as a protectant coat.
 
So, I purchased the copper polish, and yes it cleans it right up with a little elbow grease. Obviously the lacquer has worn off, so it's a stark contrast between the red/rusted look, and the cleaner look.

The horn plays well top to bottom. It's just not attractive.

View attachment 32249View attachment 32252
Good improvement and doesn’t look overdone. Like @Dr G mentions use a wax or treatment afterwards. Something to block oxygen out.
How long was the copper cleaner in contact and what was the room temperature ?
 
Pledge or Dr G’s fave, the Meguiars. Toothpaste might be too abrasive…

The thing about Pledge and the automotice cleaner/polish is that the leave a very thin layer of wax on the surface, which helps keep the horn looking clean.

I disagree with the idea that the horn isn’t attractive. It looks like a fine old instrument, which it is. I think the body would benefit by either of the above cleaners, and they also might lessen the contrast between the lacquered and bare spots.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,093
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom