support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wine

My favorite is Turning Leaf white zinfandel, but I can't seem to get that here is the UK. I also Like Gallo"s Summer Red. It's a sweet red wine served chilled and is lovely. In fact the bottle in the fridge is calling to me right now !

I bought a Nero D'Avola from Tesco, can't remember how much it was but I think cheaper end :)

I've drunk it over three evenings with chilli, steak and beef curry (that's a lot of beef!)

But back to the wine described as bold with cherry and mocha from the historical town of Menfi.

It tasted a little dry on first opening but after having had time to breathe it revealed some complex flavours with liquorice undertones. Recommended :)

1507483803768-1952892163.jpg
1507483846004-2120494920.jpg

I bought this one because it caught my eye, just under £10 in Waitrose. The original Masi wine since the year I was born. Local Veronese grapes.Rich intense with good length and soft tannins according to the label. They use lightly semi-dried grapes. I think I was expecting a little more intensity, polite was the word that sprang to mind on first taste. Nevertheless a pleasant glass :)

15083606830771215101633.jpg

Jx

I am always wary of wines that become fashionable. Take Pinot Grigio for example, I've had some pretty awful glasses in pubs and bars but I was attracted this bottle this week.
Pino2.jpg

and what a delight it was, full bodied not too dry and lovely in the sunshine :)

Pino.jpg

If you see it well worth a try.

Jx

Did you try anything new over Christmas?

I picked up a bottle of Luis Felipe Edwards Chilean Merlot reduced in Waitrose, as it was described as richly flavoured and smooth merlot and an ideal partner with roast chicken I thought I'd try it with turkey....

It was very nice :)

Jx

Certainly agree about Pinot Grigio J. Some of it can be grim.
That Chilean Merlot is very nice.
Christmas Eve we had a very good Chablis with fresh cod. William Fevre 2015.
On Christmas day we had a 2011 St Emilion grand cru Ch. Vieux Lartigue, which my sons brought over from Germany (on offer in Globus, but surprisingly good). On Boxing day we had another St Emilion, Ch Mangot 2012, another grand cru (there are lots about but not quite as good as grand cru classe ) from a local wine merchant. Again very good. and light enough to go with turkey.

All your Eve's sound lovely and mellow with your favorite fruits of the vine, but I stayed with a plain old New Mexico burgundy, followed by hot whiskey and lemon to hold off the chill New Mexican frost. Next morning I watched the sun rise with the usual steaming cup of Columbian/Hazlenut blend with a generous share of home-made kailua. Funny how the kailua brings out the best in the coffee blend. Happy New Year to all those who don't know which side of the street to drive on. I suppose you would say the same to me. Enjoy.

On New Year's Eve we had this superb 2015 Argentinian Malbec called Laborum, by Bodega El Porvenir de Cafayate. Provided by one of my sons, while the other cooked this excellent fillet steak from a local butcher. A great way to end a year, which for many reasons, not do with wine, had not been a good one. A good omen perhaps!
DSC00033.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Al for your kind message. Our sons both live and work in Leipzig, Germany, so we make the most of our four or five times a year meet-ups. Wine purchases are carefully co-ordinated at a distance!
Best wishes to you (and everyone else) too!

Primitivo Di Mandura
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...anduria-italian-red-wine/648130-129196-129197
I found this on offer in Waitrose a week or so ago. Very good value:

"6 months in French oak barriques contributes to layers of spice, smoke and earthy aromas. Lush ripe dark berry fruit flavours with nuances of wild herbs, liquorice and earthy undertones are followed by a rich, full bodied and gripping finish".

I wish I'd read the instructions about decanting 2 hours before opening :) But as there was only me drinking it, it is (gasps of amazement allowed) lasting more than one night and improving for being open a while. Recommended

Jx

So whenever we have a nice bottle of wine I put the empty bottle to one side until I have a moment to post about it. I am accumulating bottles at the moment, no I haven't just drunk them all in one, just not got around to posting.

I had my first visit to Majestic Wine just before Christmas to buy a certain bottle I knew they stocked for a friend for Christmas. As it was my first visit I received a £10 voucher off the next time I visited. Well it would have been rude not to go back :)

The great thing about Majestic is the different wines that you don't see in Supermarkets 2 reds I tried and enjoyed were Kaiken an Argentinian Malbec - the name comes from a wild goose that flies over the Andes between Chile & Argentina. The wine is described as rounded with soft velvety tannins with delicious notes of dry plum. Really enjoyed this, full bodied red with hints of a mixture of chocolate, vanilla and spice which according to my tasting notes is made without the use of chemical fungicides or herbicides .

Next up was a bit of a chance from their Parcel series 19/2015 a Shiraz/Mourvedre from award winning Clare Valley winery. Soft and rich with blackberry, mulberry and plum flavours with a hint of black pepper finish

We have also had a very nice SA Shiraz from Tesco finest range and a surprisingly nice Yellow Tail Merlot

Jx

We had a nice selection from Laithwaites before Christmas. Most of it is still undrunk as we were supporting our first born in her bid to drink only water in the month of January (Water Aid Charity). We couldn't do that but cut out alcohol for the month. We've sort of gone off school night drinking now and I have a taste for ginger cordial. Did I just say that!

Back
Top Bottom