PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Why am I doing this?

Definately agee about the experience making you a better player. I'm sure it has.

I do think this examiner created an unfriendly atmosphere though. This is a bit old school and there is no excuse for it in this day and age really. Just a bit off.

You might be surprised at how well you did when you get your results back though. My kids take a lot of music exams and they often come out dejected and dwell on the stuff they got wrong not on what they did right!

My wife took grade 1 cello a few years ago just to see what it is the kids go through in these exams. She had a similar experience to you. Got very nervous and had a very bad time of it. She did pass though and i'm sure you will too!

Thanks @nickh I have heard of some friendly abrsm examiners but they seem to be the exception not the rule, so much for progress. My tutor has a big problem with the inconsistency of abrsm examiners so is now considering putting all students exclusively through trinity who he hasn't had any such problems with.

I am still holding out hope that I have passed, on tenterhooks waiting for the result but am not expecting anything more than a pass.

I have no experience in this area but find that amazing. I find it hard to believe that each and every student always meets the required standard and find myself being driven to the conclusion that the exams are not credible!

Hopefully someone, with more knowledge than I, will enlighten me and restore my faith in the exam process!

Some very good tutors do have high success rates its difficult to judge unless you know the full story, also perhaps those who fail keep quiet about it.

There again maybe this is the reason why a pass has never really cut it as far as music exams are concerned, a high merit or distinction is normally expected. I don't see any evidence of this attitude having changed over the years.

Thanks @nickh I have heard of some friendly abrsm examiners but they seem to be the exception not the rule, so much for progress. My tutor has a big problem with the inconsistency of abrsm examiners so is now considering putting all students exclusively through trinity who he hasn't had any such problems with.

I can only go by what my kids say really. They have had both types of examiner although probably more of the friendlier sort on a balance. They seem to take it ion their stride though. I think after a few you get hardened too it!

I take my hat off to you though... well done for going for it

I have no experience in this area but find that amazing. I find it hard to believe that each and every student always meets the required standard and find myself being driven to the conclusion that the exams are not credible!

Hopefully someone, with more knowledge than I, will enlighten me and restore my faith in the exam process!
I suspect students aren't entered until they are ready for them which would explain it to an extent. :)

Jx

I suspect students aren't entered until they are ready for them which would explain it to an extent. :)

Jx
Yes I can see that, however one failure in 26 years is amazing or perhaps, as I on reflection prefer to think, highly impressive in any examination process!

Good luck to all who subject themselves to the stress of the exams, they all have more confidence and I suspect skill than I will ever achieve.