support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Who plays a Metal Mouthpiece on Alto Sax.......?

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

Prompted by a discussion in the "Playing" section, and that the old wisdom seemed to be that a Meyer HR on Alto and Otto Link STM Metal on Tenor was the way to go, I am interested in what mouthpieces are usually played on Alto. Also what experiences have folks had of playing/owning Alto Metal mouthpieces.

Having done lots of online research I have got the impression that metal is quite rare on Alto, and Meyer type HR is the typical recommendation. So any actual experience would be appreciated in order to have an informed discussion. I better buy a metal one myself just to test the theory......!

Kind regards
Tom

I play a Meyer HR 6M on Alto, and Otto Link STM NY Metal 7* on Tenor. I've never tried anything but metal on tenor, but did borrow a metal mouthpiece to try on alto. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I found it loud and brash and not in the least bit warm. It might have been useful for playing in a loud rock band, but I couldn't see how I would want to use it anywhere else.

Just remembered- it was a Berg Larsen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tom, in the past I've used an otto link 7 metal on Alto - But like our friend Rico, I found it to be brash. Still have it in the box
Think I've discovered a new hobby - Collecting mouthpic's and reeds!
I use Selmer Soloist now due to good sound tech's.
Les.

I play Lawton metal pieces on alto - a 7*B for jazz and a 6*BB ICON for rock and soul stuff. They are fine pieces, with enough warmth and a bit of zing to the sound.

Having siad that, I have loads of mouthpieces and really like my Brilharts (plastic) on alto and am toying with changing over to a new ebonite piece. That's the Emanon by Anton Weinberg which has plenty of edge on top of a nice boppy basic sound.

I have played several Meyer and Meyer-style ebonite pieces on alto, but they seem to sound a bit "generic" to me. I also have an old Selmer Soloist that is really nice and flexible too.

Rhys

Interesting topic and one I'd like to know the answer too! I know a few on this forum that play Metal mouthpieces on their Altos so it'll be interesting to hear watch they have to say.

I have played a few metal mouthpieces even though I haven't bought one yet and they haven't sounded harsh to me. When I first started playing the Alto it sounded harsh but I tamed it. The Tenor never sounded like that so I wonder if putting a metal mouthpiece on an Alto just takes more practice and patience than an ebonite mouthpiece?

Got me thinking now!

I play alto on a selmer c*, but im looking to change to something a bit different, like that meyer...

I also have a yani metal mouthpiece that is so harsh its unbelievable. I hardly ever use it, but it has got so much power, so it would be great for rock and ska. (doesnt suit me to well being a jazz quartet and big band player myself though...) I now just play on my c* as it provides the sweet, light sound that i think an alto should have (which i think is feature of most ebonite mouthpieces)

Hi Tom and All ...

Firstly - Remember that I am a raw beginner ... So please take my "experience" a very limited ... (I have Both Alto and Tenor)

I had an Otto Link 7 [Metal] for my Alto which I thought was "Just Orrible" sounded far to bright [almost tinny] ... [I also disliked the metal, shaped ligature which came with it] :(

I was lucky that Jonathan Myall Music [also known as Just Flutes - in Croydon] was willing to exchange the Link, for a Yanagisawa 7 metal which is much nicer to blow and offers a more rounded sound ... [As Griff said @ the shop - The Yani mouthpiece has been made specifically for my Yani Saxophones].

More recently - I have bought a Jody Jazz DV 7 Alto [metal] now this really is a nice sounding piece of kit and it is so easy to play ... Even I can obtain a rather sweet tone using this mouthpiece and when pushed it responds beautifully.

I also have a Yamaha 4C and a Selmer S80 E for Alto but have grown out of them both ...

For my Tenor - I prefer my supplied Yani 7 [ebonite?] mouthpiece although I do sometimes change to my Yani 8 Metal which is brighter but not tinny, easy to blow, louder and very responsive ...

I will at sometime in the future try out a Jody Jazz DV mouthpiece on my Tenor - as I really do like the way my Alto one performs ...

Hope that helps ...

... More recently - I have bought a Jody Jazz DV 7 Alto [metal] now this really is a nice sounding piece of kit and it is so easy to play ... Even I can obtain a rather sweet tone using this mouthpiece and when pushed it responds beautifully...

So you preferred the Jody Jazz DV 7 to the Otto-Link STM 7. Interesting as these were to two I was tossing between. Got the Otto-Link Vintage 7* on the Tenor.

Quite a few of the posts that I have found online seem to suggest that people are best starting on an ebonite mouthpiece, then moving on to a metal one when it comes to alto.

Kind regards
Tom

So I might be right in what I said earlier about the possibly that the Alto is harder to play in tune than the Tenor, add a Metal Mouthpiece into the mix and some find it difficult to control thus making it sound harsh, brash, etc .. giving up before learning how to control it?

Okay, ducking for cover now as I get shot down in flames!

I play Lawton metal pieces on alto - a 7*B for jazz and a 6*BB ICON for rock and soul stuff. They are fine pieces, with enough warmth and a bit of zing to the sound.

For a while i really thought I was going to get one of these mouthpieces. Maybe I should have a look at them again before dismissing them. Love the way the ligature is on them!

I don't think it makes any difference whether the mouthpiece is made of metal or not. It's the design that counts, and I don't buy any sort of "received wisdom" which some people dispense about the need to start on a particular mouthpiece such as a Meyer. As it happens I play two mouthpieces on alto, and both are metal, an Oleg Maestro, which is bright but quite full sounding and a Yanagisawa which is more mellow.

I've owned a few very bright mouthpieces for alto - a Roc, a Vandoren Jumbo Java and a Runyon, and none were metal.

I play metal Otto link supertonemaster *5. I played a Yamaha 5C for years. I find the Otto link to be more mellow over the whole range and easier to play. My alto is a vintage conn, which I'm told are lovely sounding tho I do also play hahn reeds..... So it's horses for courses, each player has to blow and see for themselves..... Most peoplewould say metals are louder and more raucus.

Ligature also in my opinion can make quite a difference!

Hi Tom
I play a custom made LAW metal alto by Lawrie Waldron which is a hybrid of his LCD and Buzzer pieces,but i am also enjoying the Vandoren V16 A9M i bought off you.

Brian

Toss Up ... Lol

So you preferred the Jody Jazz DV 7 to the Otto-Link STM 7. Interesting as these were to two I was tossing between. Got the Otto-Link Vintage 7* on the Tenor.

Yes Paul ...

There is just no comparison between them for me ...

The Jody Jazz is by far the better piece as far as I am concerned ...

You would be very wise to try both before you decide to buy mate ...

Leblanc Rationale was my first (alto) real sax. A lovely easy to play sax superb intonation, my first teacher was classically biased. Started with a selmer C*. I now play a metal Jody Jazz DV exclusively as the sax needs a bit of extra edge when it comes to jazz etc., but it can play soft ballads ' nicely ' with a bit of coaxing and care if needed. Have only ever played metal Otto Links on tenor,

Not playing my alto at the moment as I'm concentrating on tenor, but my alto mouthpiece is a metal Yanagisawa #9 facing that I bought on eBay because it looked cool. As it happens, I think its clear tone is very suited to my YAS-62.

I am speculating a little but I do wonder whether a metal piece can be a little more difficult to "tame" than an HR one - and whether that is partly to do with the external shape of the mouthpiece, which may require greater attention to the sides of an embouchure to prevent any leakage. I think this because several people talk about bright or brash sounds being produced, whether or not that mouthpiece is particularly bright. Hence if someone who plays an HR piece can find it slightly harder when initially switching to a metal piece. Who knows.

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a pure metal high baffle TENOR freak but on Alto and soprano i always end up going back to hardrubber pieces.Had most there is to have and ended up going back to a Jumbo java HR alto piece,best of both worlds.For me you lose that certain something with a metal mp on alto or soprano,but thats me.

Back
Top Bottom