support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Website recommendation for used Bundy tenor

Coolguy27

Greetings!

I'm looking for a website that sells used decent quality bundy selmer tenor saxophone with international shipping, however I can't find one.

If anybody could find such an offer I'd be most grateful.

Regards.

I'd love an explanation of the difference between them.
The Bundy (1) was a cheaper version of the Buescher Aristocrat, no direct experience but a lot of people like these ( wouldn’t mind trying out a tenor version of these).
The Bundy II, is a complete redesign (low keys on the rh side of the bell, redesigned left little finger keys, etc) but these don’t get such good reviews.

Any particular reason why you are specifically after a Bundy?

The Bundy II is based on a Buescher TT. New neck and bell. But the body was pretty much the same as A TT. It was Ralph Morgan who was Selmer US chief designer for the Bundy II. Tonewise it's a little bit brighter. The Bundy II is/was popular among Blues and R&R players. I guess the low prices was also reason for playing a Bundy II.

Pretty much anyone who sells used saxophones, unless they're specifically focused on high end models, will have all the Bundy I and Bundy II saxophones you'd ever want. They were made by the thousands. Bundy was the standard US student model sax from the early 60s (when they supplanted the Conn Director and Pan American) until some time in the early 80s when Yamaha supplanted them.

The Bundy (1) was a cheaper version of the Buescher Aristocrat, no direct experience but a lot of people like these ( wouldn’t mind trying out a tenor version of these).
The Bundy II, is a complete redesign (low keys on the rh side of the bell, redesigned left little finger keys, etc) but these don’t get such good reviews.

Any particular reason why you are specifically after a Bundy?
I was told this was the most beginner friendly horn, as some recommended it, and that a used one is the most affordable one for its decent quality. If the bundy type wasn't specified, I guess they were reffering to the first one.

Pretty much anyone who sells used saxophones, unless they're specifically focused on high end models, will have all the Bundy I and Bundy II saxophones you'd ever want. They were made by the thousands. Bundy was the standard US student model sax from the early 60s (when they supplanted the Conn Director and Pan American) until some time in the early 80s when Yamaha supplanted them.
Okay, but how does one acquire one?

I was told this was the most beginner friendly horn
I don't think this is the case. I've had several Bundy saxes, alto and tenor. They tend to have an OK tone, but other than that they're not great. They were sold in large numbers as cheap student instruments, predominantrly in the US. If you really want one (and I wouldn't) you're probably only going to find a good selection in the US. I don't know what importing from the US to Moldova is like. It's pretty costly importing from the US to the UK, as you have to pay VAT, shipping, VAT on the shipping and the shippers usually try to adfd on a handling fee. Then there is import duty if the calue crosses the threshold. So far as I can see, Moldova still has candidate status in the EU. I don't know how that affects imports from the EU, but I'd tend to look to the European market rather than further afield.

I don't think this is the case. I've had several Bundy saxes, alto and tenor. They tend to have an OK tone, but other than that they're not great. They were sold in large numbers as cheap student instruments, predominantrly in the US. If you really want one (and I wouldn't) you're probably only going to find a good selection in the US. I don't know what importing from the US to Moldova is like. It's pretty costly importing from the US to the UK, as you have to pay VAT, shipping, VAT on the shipping and the shippers usually try to adfd on a handling fee. Then there is import duty if the calue crosses the threshold. So far as I can see, Moldova still has candidate status in the EU. I don't know how that affects imports from the EU, but I'd tend to look to the European market rather than further afield.
Right, thank you.

The issue becomes shipping. US used dealers such as myself sell these all the time, it's a win-win for everyone. For me, I can acquire one very cheaply, and after I service it and flip it, make a respectable profit. For the BUYER, they will literally get a respectable sax which is *user-friendly, will last, and sounds very good, for incredibly cheap.

But shipping to Moldova or most of Eastern Europe is prohibitively expensive for a TENOR sized package. Talking literally $600+ dollars, doesn't matter the carrier. For a $500 Tenor. For US Post this is partially due to SIZE...had the horn been an Alto, the ship cost drops to $125-150 to E. Europe. But the private carriers give no such ground, even an Alto shipped there is over a $400 charge.

So if you live in Eastern Europe, buying from N. America becomes inconceivable - UNLESS seller can ship to a friend or acquaintance somewhere else in W. Europe - then they can ship it on to you.

*(Bundy 2 gets user-unfriendly on the pinky table, a bafflingly horrific design - considering that the designer was a reputable person who did a lot of other things right on that model. I mean, King had, in the 60's-70's developed a more 'modern' table for their S20, and Conn as early as the 70's had done the same on the 7M....so there were nice precedents.
Why Selmer USA blew it so badly there is still a mystery to me).

The issue becomes shipping. US used dealers such as myself sell these all the time, it's a win-win for everyone. For me, I can acquire one very cheaply, and after I service it and flip it, make a respectable profit. For the BUYER, they will literally get a respectable sax which is *user-friendly, will last, and sounds very good, for incredibly cheap.

But shipping to Moldova or most of Eastern Europe is prohibitively expensive for a TENOR sized package. Talking literally $600+ dollars, doesn't matter the carrier. For a $500 Tenor. For US Post this is partially due to SIZE...had the horn been an Alto, the ship cost drops to $125-150 to E. Europe. But the private carriers give no such ground, even an Alto shipped there is over a $400 charge.

So if you live in Eastern Europe, buying from N. America becomes inconceivable - UNLESS seller can ship to a friend or acquaintance somewhere else in W. Europe - then they can ship it on to you.

*(Bundy 2 gets user-unfriendly on the pinky table, a bafflingly horrific design - considering that the designer was a reputable person who did a lot of other things right on that model. I mean, King had, in the 60's-70's developed a more 'modern' table for their S20, and Conn as early as the 70's had done the same on the 7M....so there were nice precedents.
Why Selmer USA blew it so badly there is still a mystery to me).
I've been told this quite a few times - having it shipped to Western Europe then to me.

It just struck me while reading your message! I DO have friends from Western Europe.

Thank you for the epiphany!

I've been told this quite a few times - having it shipped to Western Europe then to me.

It just struck me while reading your message! I DO have friends from Western Europe.

Thank you for the epiphany!
That's the way it's gotta be done, then.

From US for a Bundy I or 2 in play shape, packed carefully and shipped it's probably around $400-500usd for the horn then $125-150usd for shipping to W. Europe.
You can find a total project one in US for maybe $200 but you would need a repair tech where you live.
Then figure Customs and VAT charges on a package valuated at $500-650us.

This just isn't economic. If you buy a sax for $500, say shipping with insurance is $150. That works out at £520. You then need to pay VAT on both the sax and the shipping, a bit of customs duty and likely a customs release charge. That takes it up to about £650. Then the cheapest shipping to Moldova is about £120 with insurance. I don't know what additional import charges you'd pay entering Moldova. That's at least £770, or $962. For a Bundy? No way is that worth it.

This is based on shipping costs in the UK, but most Western European countries are roughly similar for shipping costs. Far better to buy direct from somewhere in Western Europe if there isn't an established market in Moldova. That way you only pay for one lot of shipping, go through one set of border controls and save a lot of time and hassle.

I also wouldn't buy a Bundy in the first place. They're just not very good.

What would you folks recommend for the OP then? He has a similar thread on SOTW and his budget is 500-700 euros.
Yamaha YTS 21 or 23 should be possible in that budget. Might find a Vito branded version of the Yamaha for even less.

I don't think Bundys are awful, just not very good. I've had several of them, and have had one in all but name (it's branded a Buescher but it's basically the same as a Bundy) for well over 40 years. It was my first sax and I have a sentimental atachment to it, but it's nowhere near as good a sax as a student Yamaha.

Back
Top Bottom