support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet

I have acquired a reputation for providing music with 'interesting' time signatures such as 4/2 and 3/2. Nothing like being asked to count in minims instead of crotchets (half notes instead of quarter notes).

In orchestra last night, we sight read the Brahms Serenade #1 in D, first movement. The challenge here is it's in 2/2 but in one section the cellos are playing triplet minims on beat 3 tied to beat 1 of next bar then a triplet minim rest...

There were only 4 of us for our monthly meet today but we had SATB and played some old stuff pretty well and tried some not so well known tunes.

So different to playing with 7 or 8 and a real opportunity to hear what everyone else is playing.

Really enjoyed it, thanks guys :)

Jx

I dished out a lot of sight reading yesterday, much of it in 4/2... We looked at one of @nigeld arrangements - the Parsons' Ave Maria and the madrigal 'April is in my mistress' face'.

You may ask why I get people to play some renaissance polyphony in a sax group? Well, apart from liking some of the music... there are some good pedagogic reasons. Unlike 'modern' music which is mostly a tune with accompaniment, polyphony means that each line is independent and 'vertical' harmonic alignments are infrequent and less obvious: in other words counting to get accurate rhythm, and listening to what's going on around you, are very important!
We do 'normal' stuff as well...

The guys did very well.

The challenge I find is finding music for SATB that's accessible.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom