support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Playing Teaching saxophone: too much jazz of the 50s?

I was going to put this in the current thread Help with the next step please, but this somehow grew into something that should have its own thread I think. This is one of those things that crop up from time to time in various discussions

Dexter_Gordon.jpg
My take is that it is now inevitable that mainstream or straight ahead jazz of the 40s/50s (golden era?) is often concentrated on by teachers and learners and is for several reasons:

• It may be fair to say that jazz (and its evolutionary forms) as we know it mostly started out in the US (with roots in the slave plantations and ultimately Africa)
  • It was originally considered as dance music or brothel entertainment (ie way below Classical in terms of "artform").
  • 1940s/50s bebop innovations brought its status up to be considered a more serious art form until eventually it started being taught in colleges. A big reason was that finally America proudly now had its very own type of classical music.
  • Hence its popularity seemed to get rebalanced, ie less as as dance/entertainment music but more as art music
  • The rise in demand for jazz performance education (as possibly more of a peoples’ thing and more accessible than classical) meant that it spread in popularity into secondary education as well as further education.
  • The demand for it may have outstripped the quality professional actual practitioners, many of whom preferred to gig rather than teach anyway. Maybe due to the constraints of academic bureaucracy. Plus it was to a large extent an art that was self taught, learned on the road or passed down orally.
  • So once it's there in academia, the learning process had to be more structured, capable of formal assessment by grades and so a formulaic teaching method came into being. This was a formulaic approach and not only meant it could be assessed, but could be taught by teachers who could learn that formula and just needed to stay one step head of the student.
  • So instead of trying to teach the art (ie inspiration and melodic impro) it was possible to teach the harmony (close to classical anyway) but add the impro element to that by inventing the chord/mode approach which was achieved by a technical analysis of what the masters played, which purely looked at the end result rather than the creative art process of achieving it. (Barry Harris had quite a bit to say about this)
To me the creative method of straight ahead impro involves (1) knowing the individual chord notes, (2) knowing how the chord functions within a key (ie what is the key centre and what degree of the key centre is that chord's root) and (3) understand the relation of that chord within the context of the sequence (what came before and what goes after), and constructing melody around that chord using both (2) and (3).

The chord/mode approach kind of takes a snapshot of the chord and makes assumptions with not necessarily any relevance to the context of (2) and (3).

So as an example we often hear that if there is a G7 you play a mixolydian mode of G. (those are all the notes from C major). That does fill in the chord notes effectively but pays no attention to the context, e.g. what if it's key centre is not C major. If it is resolving in C minor what relevance has the mixolydian got?

On a very basic level I much prefer to think of the chord notes, and think of linking them with other notes from the key centre scale. I'd immediately think "G7 is the V chord of C, therefor my passing notes or suspension are from C major or minor." I'd never think mixolydian in G. With a mixolydian mode G is the "tonic" not the dominant, so confusion there right from the start.

So that is why I don't like that method. It can maybe be equated to "painting by numbers". It can work in that you can play stuff from a scale that will often "fit the chord." Although it is easy to formularise (and so easy to teach in a mathematic kind of way) it has less to do with thinking about the creative quality of the music and understanding tension/release etc.

But the big thing here in this thread is also the fact that to a certain extent the teaching and learning of jazz is focussed a lot on this 60 year old period, as I said the so-called golden age. Is it golden because there is an assumption that earlier forms such as traditional New Orleans, swing or later freeform styles are somehow inferior?

I don't think so. I just think that the early forms are ignored because they are either not "art" or not "cool" (bebop having that hipster image of berets and shades etc). And later forms of "avant grade" are not really possible to formularise as there is little or nothing to grasp in the way of assessable conventional musical elements. Any academic assessment therefore has to rely a lot on subjectivity.

In academia that is getting more and more important as students and parents can get litigious and complain about the grades. With more conventional teaching you can justify a high mark by the fact that there are fewer wrong notes (that weren't in the prescribed mode) but how do you do that with avant garde... what makes on piece of freeform objectively "better" than another?

Last edited:
straight ahead jazz that's a combo centered around individuals taking solos. The later is almost never dance music
We have dancers come to every gig we play, including jitterbug dancers so I can't agree with your statement.
yet the majority of players here are pretty well stuck just playing "standards
Have you ever thought that there are some who are happy and want to play standards, you make it sound that we are repressed musicians.

We have dancers come to every gig we play, including jitterbug dancers so I can't agree with your statement.
I've also done plenty of gigs where dancers come along, including jitterbug and lindyhop dancers. When we played 50s straight ahead as well as more modern jazz originals, the dancers generally did not dance the jitterbug or lindyhop, but then we would play some more swing oriented tunes for them. Some of those lindyhoppers though did like to also do what I suppose is termed jazz dance, a different style.

It was just a case of reading the audience and being as flexible as possible.

Have you ever thought that there are some who are happy and want to play standards, you make it sound that we are repressed musicians.

I'm not able to answer on behalf of Wade, but I agree to a very large extent with a lot of what Wade has said and I haven't seen him say that there aren't people who are happy and want to play standards.

The point of this thread was never to say people shouldn't be playing, or don't want to play, standards or "straight ahead" jazz.

I've also done plenty of gigs where dancers come along, including jitterbug and lindyhop dancers. When we played 50s straight ahead as well as more modern jazz originals, the dancers generally did not dance the jitterbug or lindyhop, but then we would play some more swing oriented tunes for them. Some of those lindyhoppers though did like to also do what I suppose is termed jazz dance, a different style.

It was just a case of reading the audience and being as flexible as possible.

I'm not able to answer on behalf of Wade, but I agree to a very large extent with a lot of what Wade has said and I haven't seen him say that there aren't people who are happy and want to play standards.

The point of this thread was never to say people shouldn't be playing, or don't want to play, standards or "straight ahead" jazz.
Our group doesn't play all straight ahead jazz but we mix it up with swing and blues but they are pretty much standards.
We also have lindyhop dancers although not at every gig, last gig the was one professional dancer who brought the house down with his dance version of us playing Caravan, strange as it sounds I have been hearing that Jazz is dead for 35 years but its still going strong and still has a well supported audience.

The groups I play in have very flexible membership. Deps are common as are those sitting in.
No dots just a real book for the rhythm section
Sometimes the phone rings and there's barely travelling time.
Somebody ill or injured or these days dead.
I can't see how this sort of spontaneous performance could be arranged without standards.

I have been hearing that Jazz is dead for 35 years but its still going strong and still has a well supported audience.
I have never heard anyone say that jazz is dead. I do think it's less popular but there there is still an audience. Perhaps it's a smaller audience but I do know there are areas where it seems to be very much alive.

The idea it's dead may come from musicians who I know are finding there is less money to be made from doing it professionally.

Are we now getting a bit off topic though?

I have never heard anyone say that jazz is dead. I do think it's less popular but there there is still an audience. Perhaps it's a smaller audience but I do know there are areas where it seems to be very much alive.

The idea it's dead may come from musicians who I know are finding there is less money to be made from doing it professionally.

Are we now getting a bit off topic though?
Not by cafe standards.

This thread is getting a little heated by going down an avenue which was, respectfully, a comment not exactly on-topic of the thread.
As I interpret it, the thread is NOT about "straight ahead jazz is unpopular" or anything like that. It's not an attack on Jazz (however you may define it).

The topic is....has the academicization of the genre resulted in a loss of some of it's qualities from the 'classic' era...?...producing perhaps very technically proficient players but also resulting in a contemporary dynamic where straight ahead is lacking something ?...and...is there any way to revise the current academic cuiriculums to perhaps address this ?

With that said....your initial comment was later expanded upon: initially it could be interpreted as a straight-ahead band inspiring people to dance. I doubt very greatly that a jazz quintet/quartet/sextet playing the 'classic' straight ahead material...Parker, Miles, Coltrane, Mingus, etc....be-bop, post-bop, contemporary jazz, etc...the stuff that college majors and grads really still consider the bomb....is going to inspire jitterbug dancers to get out of their seats and do it.
I doubt very greatly that such groups playing even Great American Songbook standards along the lines/styles of how any of the above artists interpreted them....is going to get anyone dancing.

I have been gigging straight ahead for over 40 years...never have I seen that happen. Never have I seen anyone get up and dance to a jazz group performing Parker or Coltrane or Miles, hard bop, post-bop, contemporary/modern jazz, Brecker, Steps Ahead, Kenny Garrett, Roy Hargrove, etc., etc....

Your subsequent comment made clearer that your group does, in fact, 'mix it up'...and therefore it's those tunes which fall out of the classic genre which are the ones folks dance to. This makes sense.
But that stuff isn't what a conventional Jazz major cirriculum teaches, stresses, or even necessarily suggests.

As noted by another respondent, it is when the band might slide in a 'swing jazz' tune...Ellington, etc....or other big band era stuff...or perhaps something highly recognizable like Girl from Ipanema...or, as you say, a Blues...that a few souls might be inspired to start dancing. That's been my experience.

But understand that having the 'wide-scope' view to do this...whether borne out of necessity or something else....is something which MANY Jazz majors eschew. You end up with a bunch of highly technically proficient young turks who really believe that playing Donna Lee at 290BPM....means something to a listener....and that people actually want to hear that when they go see live entertainment.

Next comment you made - it's perfectly reasonable (and obvious) that some musicians LIKE playing straight-ahead...again, I don't think anyone here stated the opposite.
But if that is 'your' genre...and you are gonna stick to that genre, and not 'mix it up'...then realistically, expect that the fan base is going to be quite narrow, and the gig opportunities (in most places) are going to be more limited than a band which chose instead to offer a wider variety of genres or even a wider variety of sub-genres within straight-ahead.... because the 'classic' stuff which most grads and music majors and 'young jazz turks' think is da' bomb...again, has a very limited appeal to the general public of music listeners AND venue managers.

Again, this is a bit of a detour subject which has been discussed in other threads more specific to that subject...

Last edited:
I have been gigging straight ahead for over 40 years...never have I seen that happen. Never have I seen anyone get up and dance to Parker or Coltrane or Miles, etc.
Maybe in some late night 60s jazz club special on TV you might have got someone doing that strange arty genre “jazz dance”, however that probably died out due the unavailability of black turtle necks.

Anyway yes back on topic now please

The term Jazz studies is meaningless to this thread unless it differentiates between Jazz Performance studies (which the thread is about) and jazz musicology (which it isn't).

I'm talking about education that teaches people to play or perform (straight ahead) jazz . Jazz as a musicology/history subject (along with all the analysis and research PHDs) is a totally different thing and was probably around a lot longer ago)

Data USA: Jazz and Jazz Studies There are 512 schools in the U.S. that offer degrees in jazz. What surprised me is the countries outside the US that have a greater number of degrees in visual and performing arts.
Looking at the website, maybe they are just talking about the jazz we all know and love that involves recorders, kazoos and writing tunes with quill pens:

jazz.jpg

Perhaps not all of the 512 schools offer jazz performance degrees, but it is a reasonable assumption that most do. This is a sampling of several on the list.

New School
New England Conservatory
Miami University see "small ensembles"
Oberlin College
Manhattan School of Music
Julliard School of Music
University of Southern California

My point is that in my view it is difficult to make accurate assumptions about the quality of the content of all of the jazz studies programs and how improvisation is taught across such a broad spectrum of schools without closer inspection.

In my experience improvisation is typically taught one on one with private instructors, many of whom are accomplished professional players or in combo situations coached by professional players as well. To suggest that programs and teachers of this caliber stifle the creativity of students is quite a stretch. To rate the quality of jazz education of all of these schools based upon hearing a handful of younger players play lots of scales and patterns with little creativity in their solos goes even farther. Enough said. ;)

Last edited: