support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Straight or curved ? ... Soprano

I think I briefly played an 875 when trying mouthpieces without my own sax to hand, I can't remember much about it other than getting cross with @aldevis :)

So I suspect it wasn't too dissimilar to my 62 but Al might be able to confirm

Jx

That's a top of the line Yamaha soprano. Isn't it the re-incarnation of the highly praised Yss-62? Like @Jeanette 's

I think I read something along those lines recently.

I’m not certain, but I think the 82Z is the re-incarnation of the 62, and the 82ZR the 62R.
So the 875 is something else, but presumably not a million miles away.

I think I briefly played an 875 when trying mouthpieces without my own sax to hand, I can't remember much about it other than getting cross with @aldevis :)

So I suspect it wasn't too dissimilar to my 62 but Al might be able to confirm

Jx
Never liked the 875
The 82 is a 62 wannabe.
A student recently bought a curvy bronze Yanni that is really good, the basic version was half a mile behind.

Do straight yanagisawa sopranos come up for sale second hand very often ? There a the curved variety available. Does this mean there are more curved around or that people don't like them?

Marvan

There aren't as many curvy sopranos made. Having the sound back in your face and the "toy syndrome" some speak of, tends to make them less popular. Their advantage is that they hang nicely off a strap. The straight should be played with the bell up, which can result in tendinitis (tennis elbow). I developed a bad case of tendinitis and switched to a curvy (both the straight and curvy were Yanagisawa). It took a short while getting used to the sound projecting back at short range,but was such a relief. I eventually got over the tendinitis but found that I was still good with the sound of the curvy. If you record then you will know that they don't sound a lot different with the curvy possibly a bit more mellow. The problem with many straight sop players is that they have the bell pointing at the floor. This means their neck is bent (bad positioning for air flow) and the sound is reflecting off the floor. Tip bell types have become more popular as it allows the neck to be straighter with the sound projecting outward, and a strap can be used to hold more weight. The straight sop is also harder to set up for microphones than curvy saxes, generally requiring two mikes so that you get a balance between the lowest notes and the highs

The straight is not only bad for tendinitis,but plays havoc if you have back or neck problems.
I've had lots of good comments on how the curvy looks, never had any negative comments about it looking like a toy.
But it is personal preference.

That made me s mile :D

Do straight yanagisawa sopranos come up for sale second hand very often ? There a the curved variety available. Does this mean there are more curved around or that people don't like them?

Best wishes

Marvan
There's a few on the devils auction site at the moment. But you never truly know what you're getting unless you know the seller.

Just want to say that I found this an interesting topic and discussion. I only know of one really good (professional) local sop player and he plays curved. I've often wondered why.

The reason I've been using one for many years is the use with a microphone. I've only been really happy using straight when the band had its own sound engineer (and on some stages it was a struggle anyway).

In the gigs I do now, I seldom need a loud mic on soprano, so I use my favourite sounding Sequoia.

I was at an Andy Shepphard concert recently and he was playing soprano in an odd-looking hunched-over position which looked very uncomfortable.
I guessed this was to get his straight soprano in the right place in respect to the microphone.

I have both straight and curved Yani sopranos. As nigeld says the curvy is more comfortable. The main difference tone wise is that the player has the bell projecting the sound back at them. This can be a bit much until you get used to it. Both my horns are for sale (although not advertised yet). The curvy is an 880 vintage in pristine condition. The straight is an Elemona that is also in very good condition. If sold here, there will be a donation to the cafe.

Do you still have the 880 Curved for sale? If yes please pm me or send an email
MOD Edit email removed please use PC

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom