Photo contest

Accessories Santa has been

I got a copy of "The Devil's Horn", by Michael Segell. Haven't read through it all yet, but a quick skim whilst sat upon 'the throne' ellicited a few mutters ( the Goofus is a recorder-like instrument?? The weight of cork changes the tone??? ).

I also got a pair of 'pop-pop boats' - and I urge all of you to rush out and buy one of these ingenious old-fashioned toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqUUPMT6Gc

Regards,

Thank you Stephen. I shall be giving away the pop pop boats as presents, when I'm invited onto other boats. Much more fun than taking a bottle of wine (cheaper too) and a really good 'ice' breaker. I bought 10 wholesale from Jesters. I'm looking forward to playing with one already. Nice to be an admiral with a fleet for under £30.

On a new topic, very many thanks for your sax reviews which I read avidly before buying my BW PB alto and tenor. I now aspire to the silver versions but my playing will never warrant the upgrade. The ones I have are much too good for my level of ability. The only problem I have is that if the horn produces a nasty sound, I know it was me!

Lori,
Keyless or simple fingering and if so, how many keys?

Why they are referred to as "Irish" is beyond me, just a case of when Boehm came up with his flute, all the pros wanted one. They then needed to unload their old gear cheaply. Do realise if you turn up at an Irish session with a silver flute, noses are turned up but enjoy, especially if low Bb.

It's a Dixon Low D Flute (keyless and not silver) ~ although I do have a good old Gemeinhardt for doubling in pit orchestra. The pennywhistle is a Susato Dublin High D.

My husband holds an Irish Passport, and he's always talking about moving - so I figured I better brush up on some jigs and reels just in case ;}

You could have had my Tony of Bideford plastic stick but I gave it to our local visiting Jehovah's Witness as the only way to get rid of her. I enjoy a good argument, although you'd never guess. ;}

Hope you've got a good reach on the right hand for the Ds. Doug Tipple's ergonomic fingering system does cut down on finger stretch and with his lip plate and widget thingey inside, works just as well as Tony's, providing you don't mind playing a water pipe. :) Raised even more eyebrows at Irish Sessions over here. :D

Where have i been did not see this thread?? Larry teal's art of saxophone playing. Duke ellington boxed set. Book on how the pro's play. Also a lovely i-pod touch as my last i-pod got nicked out of the car. Mind you the wife did leave the car unlocked so think it was a guilty present on her behalf, but i did get spoiled this year.
Bottle of Glennfiddich, so cheers to all.
Nachoman " What's a Gruffalo"?? :w00t:

I got a copy of "The Devil's Horn", by Michael Segell. Haven't read through it all yet, but a quick skim whilst sat upon 'the throne' ellicited a few mutters ( the Goofus is a recorder-like instrument?? The weight of cork changes the tone??? ).

I also got a pair of 'pop-pop boats' - and I urge all of you to rush out and buy one of these ingenious old-fashioned toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqUUPMT6Gc

Regards,

Stephen, I read this a while ago. It's written more as a narrative of what he's been told/does as he researches the history and gets to grips with learning to play. Style's a bit odd, but there's a lot of good interesting stuff there. Hopefully he gets to a second edition and the goofs are eliminated, or annotated.

Ta for the tip on the pop-pop boats. Did some googling, looks like the kids (including this big one) will be making some.... Races down the bath, anyone?

Well for the sax I got Denis Taylor\s Blues Sax book. And |Take the lead, Tenor Sax. Skimmed through both. Gonna be a while before I take the lead... Something to aim for! Hopefully Stephen's book is released from jail today....

A nice sturdy "Tiger" music stand. I haven't troubled it as much as I should yet due to other presents; "The Devils Horn", as reveiwed above though I must say I find the enthusiasm of the guys style well outweighs any minor inaccurracies, and, also as reveiwed above, the Bill Bailey CD - which is a perfect and entertaining way to while away an extremely wet afternoon in Ross-on-Wye while suffering from man-flu.

I have just received my saxophone-related Christmas gift through the post - an Otto Link ligature from our own Breakfast Room Santa Claus. Thank you Dooce, I can now put the gaffer tape away and play my high notes with a new-found confidence!

As requested - a donation will be made to Pete's charity.

Good people make the world go round.

Stephen, I read this a while ago. It's written more as a narrative of what he's been told/does as he researches the history and gets to grips with learning to play. Style's a bit odd, but there's a lot of good interesting stuff there. Hopefully he gets to a second edition and the goofs are eliminated, or annotated.

Ta for the tip on the pop-pop boats. Did some googling, looks like the kids (including this big one) will be making some.... Races down the bath, anyone?

I've read a bit more of the book, and it's beginning to broaden out a bit. Found some interesting stuff which is new to me - plus a few more things that made me huff and puff!
Interesting to read his take on the Nazis and saxophones - again, some new info there, but I wonder what he'd have made of that old Eugene Schuster horn I had with an SS insignia on the bell.

I also seem to have ended up with three copies of the book!

Hope the pop-pop boats work out, I've already started modding mine!

Regards,

I've read a bit more of the book, and it's beginning to broaden out a bit. Found some interesting stuff which is new to me - plus a few more things that made me huff and puff!
Interesting to read his take on the Nazis and saxophones - again, some new info there, but I wonder what he'd have made of that old Eugene Schuster horn I had with an SS insignia on the bell.

I also seem to have ended up with three copies of the book!

Hope the pop-pop boats work out, I've already started modding mine!

Regards,

Would be interesting to see a review on your web site - I'm sure a lot of the huff and puffs went right over my head.

Currently reading your manual. Loving it. Can I email feedback for the second edition?

Would be interesting to see a review on your web site - I'm sure a lot of the huff and puffs went right over my head.

Currently reading your manual. Loving it. Can I email feedback for the second edition?

Not a bad idea! I'll have to read it a good few times though, just to make it a fair comment.

I welcome any feedback on the manual - send it over!

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom