I have a couple of questions regarding reed/ mouthpieces that I hope the collective minds on here can help with.
Firstly - do you leave your reed attached to the mouthpiece or not? My friend, and saxophone teacher, suggests removing it after each and every session. But the protective cap seems designed to take the mouthpiece with the reed in place.
Secondly - when I looked at information and watched YouTube tutorials on reed position they suggested a ’thin‘ gap between the end of the reed and the end of the mouthpiece. Pictures seem to show a hairs width but I find if I make the gap about 1mm I get a more consistent sound. Is this bad technique on my part? Or just one of those things that comes down to personal preference.
Lastly - how much does ligature tension affect sound? And how tight should it be?
For reference I am using Juno 1.5 reeds, a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and Rovner dark ligature.
Firstly - do you leave your reed attached to the mouthpiece or not? My friend, and saxophone teacher, suggests removing it after each and every session. But the protective cap seems designed to take the mouthpiece with the reed in place.
Secondly - when I looked at information and watched YouTube tutorials on reed position they suggested a ’thin‘ gap between the end of the reed and the end of the mouthpiece. Pictures seem to show a hairs width but I find if I make the gap about 1mm I get a more consistent sound. Is this bad technique on my part? Or just one of those things that comes down to personal preference.
Lastly - how much does ligature tension affect sound? And how tight should it be?
For reference I am using Juno 1.5 reeds, a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and Rovner dark ligature.
