support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Reasonable price to expect for selling a tenor sax

GWinch77

Hello,

This is my first time on the forum, so first of all, HELLO!

I play in a ska/2Tone band and recently bought an Elkhart Deluxe tenor, for the lower range to help drive some of the songs more: I've been just playing alto in the band until recently, and first started on the alto at the age of 12.

However, there is a chance that the lead singer will be leaving the band due to moving away to the West country, and I will not have much need of the tenor.
The Elkhart Deluxe is in absolutely mint to new condition, used for one rehearsal and one short gig at a festival for 3-4 songs.

How much should I expect to sell this for second-hand? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Elkhart Deluxe, this is a modern/contemporary horn, yes ? New-ish ?

(I ask only because Elkhart Band Inst Co. used to be a subsidiary of Buescher. After (the real) Buescher faded away, the brand name lay dormant for several decades but was bought out by asian makers sometime in the past 10-15 years).

Elkhart Deluxe, this is a modern/contemporary horn, yes ? New-ish ?

(I ask only because Elkhart Band Inst Co. used to be a subsidiary of Buescher. After (the real) Buescher faded away, the brand name lay dormant for several decades but was bought out by asian makers sometime in the past 10-15 years).

Yep, the newer Elkhart.

That's what I figured.

OK, so.......how quickly do you want to liquidate it ?

As an investment, this horn will have some problems. Not a recognizable name brand, going under a nametag which was bought out by a Taiwanese maker (this is the 'new normal', apparently)...and not a whole lotta reviews of it online (that I can find).

Honestly (sorry to say)...if you twisted my arm I would say you can get perhaps 400£ for it.

I welcome anyone to correct me, I don't know the UK market like I do the US one...but, new budget asian horns that aren't a big brand name usually drop precipitously in resale value......

The Elkhart Deluxe saxphones are pretty good. Made in Taiwan. I had an alto which was nice (but not as nice as my Buffet S1) and I once played a soprano which was outstanding.

Others may disagree, but my rule of thumb for a ready-to-play secondhand modern instrument is half to 2/3 of the new price, depending on its condition. So if Sax.co.uk sells them for £900, I would expect to pay about £450 if it is in good condition and more it is like new.

Its like predicting eBay and you cant. Its a crap shoot any day...the horn.... Not a big name but in nice shape. Its the right time of year...youncould try for 550 or so...you maynget it..maybe not. Even if its a good build people are not gonna line up for it. But then what can you actually buy for 5 bills? That in itself is a selling point. That and the fact that sax co sells them.

Id post the link...say how little its been used and slap a used price on it and see what happens. Maybe something...maybe nothing.

The challenge here is a lack of a meaningful brand name....not a few bucks one direction or another.

IMHO ~ the SIMPLE EQUATION leaves out the consideration fo the brand of horn, and the familiarity the market has with that brand....and whether or not that brand has a track record and has garnered a good reputation.

If one purchases a horn of a somewhat obscure brand...regardless of whether that horn is in reality an excellent player or not....expecting to actually get 75% of it's new pricetag is likely to make one a disappointed seller.

New horns depreciate really fast. Newish budget asian horns particularly.

The challenge here is a lack of a meaningful brand name.....

Yes, it is. I don't mean to be a naysayer ...and I DO hope the OP gets good money for the instrument...but I have been a used dealer for 16+ years now,
I am not going out on a limb by positing that if one should list a used Elkhart at .75 or even .70 x £900 = £630 - £675....that listing will be around for quite a while. I wouldn't go into it with the expectation that you can get that sorta money.

If you (OP) would be satisfied with 500 out of it, then that (or, say 550 to start) is a much more realistic pricetag to put on it, probably.

But truly, best of luck with the sale.

Last edited:
75% is a starting point! Post it, bump it up, and mark it down. Simple.
I love when people post a short story that gives their opinion. I love when people give opinion by marking someone else. It's trying to make a point. Making a point is the birth of an argument. GFY

As an investment, this horn will have some problems. Not a recognizable name brand, going under a nametag which was bought out by a Taiwanese maker (this is the 'new normal', apparently)...and not a whole lotta reviews of it online (that I can find).
Others may disagree, but my rule of thumb for a ready-to-play secondhand modern instrument is half to 2/3 of the new price, depending on its condition. So if Sax.co.uk sells them for £900, I would expect to pay about £450 if it is in good condition and more it is like new.
Not unknown /obscure. Maybe that's true in the USA, but not in the UK. Here they're well known and well thought of.

Price wise Nigel's about right. Sad, but true. If you're going to sell on ebay, protect yourself with a sensible reserve. Might take a while to get your price. If you're looking to sell here, please check out the yard sale rules before posting.

Not unknown /obscure. Maybe that's true in the USA, but not in the UK. Here they're well known and well thought of.
OK, well good to know; so perhaps if it is more common in Europe, you may get 500 or so.

But just to clarify...(and this I have learned from years of selling).....in the market,.... "obscure" - as it applies to saxophones.... basically means anything that ISN'T maybe the 10 or or so most common brand names (Yama, Yani, Mauriat, Cannonball, Selmer, Jupiter, the old vintage "Big 4", etc).
So I would think, over there for example...even a Trevor James would likely trump an Elkhart in name recognition by a significant margin.

Remember, the market is fickle.
Plus, what folks like you and I, who frequent these sorta chat boards, might consider a highly recognizable name (Beugnier, Pierret, Amati, even B&S, etc....) is not necessarily so to a significant %age of the sax playing population.

I know, this sounds truly ridiculous, but it is what I have found....

But anyways, I am glad for OP that the brand has some circulation over there.
Hang on to sax and learn to love tenor?

Another valid option. If you own what you feel is a nice player, and the market isn't gonna give you what you think it is truly worth, and you have no immediate 'need' to liquidate it...you may well find that 3, 6, 9 months from now, you will be very glad you held onto it.

Price wise Nigel's about right. Sad, but true. If you're going to sell on ebay, protect yourself with a sensible reserve. Might take a while to get your price. If you're looking to sell here, please check out the yard sale rules before posting.

Absolutely right, Kev. It's a well known brand, bought in large numbers by educational establishments. It's known to be a decent student instrument on the marketplace here - the OP is in London, not the US, where the brand might not be marketed. If it's mint, it might make £400.

Two mint, recent, Sakkusu DeLuxe tenors sold on ebay in the last month. One for £210, the other £379.99.

Aren't these identical to the Elkhart DeLuxe any more?

In any case, I reckon £300 max for your Elkhart.

Two mint, recent, Sakkusu DeLuxe tenors sold on ebay in the last month. One for £210, the other £379.99.

Aren't these identical to the Elkhart DeLuxe any more?

In any case, I reckon £300 max for your Elkhart.

The first generation of Sakkusu horns (tick logo, black key pearls) were the same as the Taiwanese Elkharts, but then they changed to a Chinese factory. So I would expect an Elkhart Deluxe to be worth more than a current Sakkusu.