PPT mouthpieces

Problems with high F on alto

RMorgan

Locality
Brazil
Hey guys,

I´ve changed from tenor to alto recently.

Well, I can play the horn pretty easy from bottom to top (haven´t learned altissimo yet), except to the high F, the one you play with the palm keys.

I´m pretty sure its an embouchure/oral cavity resonance problem. I´m still adapting to the alto.

Do you have some tips on how can I play the high F properly?

Thanks,

Raf.

- Sound the note on a keyboard (the second Ab above middle C).

- Blow that pitch on just your airstream like an airy whistle.

- Play the note on the saxophone using the same airstream (think fast cold air).

- If the embouchure needs a little tightening think of sucking on a sour lemon.

- Another technique to firm the embouchure is to raise the eyebrows.

Thanks my friend,

I tried your techniques yesterday and the note is starting to show up! :)

It is really a matter of "imagining the note" before playing.

Raf.

I was told recently that is true of any notes.
I struggle with low B and Bflat on my Bari, and I was told to imagine singing a note at that pitch, it helps to get the throat opened up correctly.
I haven't tried yet, as I am separated from my saxes for a while :crying:

I learned that technique from Dr. Ray Smith at Brigham Young University. He is an incredible saxophonist and doubles on all of the other woodwinds. He calls that "playing on the airstream" when the air is tuned to the note before it gets to the instrument. It is especially effective on flute. I later learned that brass players do this all the time in order to sound the note they want.

I learned that technique from Dr. Ray Smith at Brigham Young University. He is an incredible saxophonist and doubles on all of the other woodwinds. He calls that "playing on the airstream" when the air is tuned to the note before it gets to the instrument. It is especially effective on flute. I later learned that brass players do this all the time in order to sound the note they want.

They do, indeed....................................:thumb:

This is a killer tip indeed! Works like a miracle!

It also gives a different character to all notes, makes them brighter.

Raf.