support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Neckpiece Problems

AltoSaxCat

Hello everyone,

I am in need of desperate help with my Alto saxophone. After not playing for about a week I got it out to find that the part that comes up when the octave key is pressed is stuck upright and won't play anything lower than a high d when I put it on the body. What can I do?

That's the octave key, so it lets you play high but not low!

If it's not damaged, something must have gone missing. There is a small flat spring attached by a tiny screw. If that's gone or if I,t moved sideways, it can let the octave key hang upwards.

Otherwise, post an image. It might help understand what's wrong.

Hello everyone,

I am in need of desperate help with my Alto saxophone. After not playing for about a week I got it out to find that the part that comes up when the octave key is pressed is stuck upright and won't play anything lower than a high d when I put it on the body. What can I do?
Is this before you put it together or just afterwards?

That is a bit vague. By 'the part that comes up when the octave key is pressed is stuck upright' do you mean that the long piece on top of the neck is lifted off the hole?
Does it move up and down properly when the neck is not on the sax?
Does it then lift to the open position as you put it on the sax?
If so then the pin that operates it could be bent away from the sax body which should be looked at first.

@Targa is spot on. There is also the possibility that the ring that extends from the neck octave pad cup is bent, although this is not as likely as a bent rod that extends from the sax. Here are a couple of things to check:
  • Make sure the key travels up and down when the neck is off the saxophone and is not binding in the "saddle" guide.
  • With the neck removed finger G pressing the octave key and move the extended rod up and down. It should move freely.
  • Make sure the rod that extends from the end of the saxophone is parallel to the body.
  • With the neck on the sax check to see that there is about1/16" space between the rod and the neck ring.

Back
Top Bottom