support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Major scales and chords cheat sheet

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
My tutor gave me this a couple of weeks ago and I am finding it useful so I asked if I could share.
So here is the sheet she gives her pupils to help learn major scales and chords.
Major Scales and corresponding chords chart.pdf
Read it horizontally from left to right, getting the notes of scale is obvious, to get the main chords of a scale play alternate notes

I don't understand that, please will you explain?

I googled to see if I could find something to help.

came up with this . this guy may have a future as a teacher :)

jazz theory

that link is great and you do need to know it.

but if new to this, I sometimes find it easier to talk of 3 note arpeggios instead of the full 7th chords.
so CEG, DFA, EGB,FAC,GBD,ACE,BDF

same principal of how to find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all explained in great detail in our Forum Taming The Sax Vol ll on sale now a great help in these matters
In TTS lll the very first exercise given is basically a run through all the progressive chords in all the scales right from bottom to top and like Pete Thomas says if you only have time for one exercise make it this one
The second one B is a killer

Last edited:
Anything to get this in your head. It is of no use for me I have to visualize a guitar fretboard in my mind. But I have long wanted to go to a remote Monastery and meditate on the meaning of a diminished 7 chord. then come back and write a confusing book about it.

Anything to get this in your head. It is of no use for me I have to visualize a guitar fretboard in my mind. But I have long wanted to go to a remote Monastery and meditate on the meaning of a diminished 7 chord. then come back and write a confusing book about it.

I visualize an open C chord no matter what the key I'm playing in. Works for me.

Maybe an article for the café on a half diminished as an appetiser?

So many different descriptions of Dim7. BiaB doesn't recognise it. The upside is there's only three of them to learn. Very easy to understand though.

Two kinds of intervals 3 semitones minor and four semitones major. Like them brothers at public school. Big one and little one. Then it's just like Lego.

min + min = diminished
min + maj = minor
Maj + min = Major
Maj + maj = augmented.
min + min + min = Dim7

The other chords/arpeggios use numbers to denote which note on the scale to add or alter.

Half diminished is a misleading description to me. It's also called m7b5, which, for me, is easier to understand. In American symbols, they use the circle with a line through it, which I had to google several times before the penny dropped. The hard bit is how to use them and how one leads into or suggests another to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldevis or Pete can correct me if I am wrong, but I have always thought of a diminished, diminished 7, or minor 7b5 (half diminished) as variations on a V7. In other words they set up harmonic tension that leads to a release. For example, the diminished chord built on B in the key of C: B-D-F-A is the same as G9: G-B-D-F-A without the root.

The "demented" chord is the one I'm still trying to figure out. :p

Last edited:
I just look at it as a minor chord flat V sharp the 6. and after I'm done at the monastery preferably one that makes beer. My argument is going to be it should be called a minor chord flat 5 augmented 6 that way we can add a major 7th which does sound kind of cool