support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Looking to come out of retirement! Is John packer a good place to start?

jmbahrman

Hi everybody,

I used to play religiously but due to life haven't picked up a horn in over a decade now. I've really been pining for it the past couple years and have finally started shopping around. I don't know much about John Packers but I found this JP 242 at what seems like a bargain price but not sure if it's too good to be true! John Packer JP242 Bb Tenor Saxophone

If anyone can give me any insight on this, it would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance, can't wait to start playing again!

I have been told that the cheaper JP horns (JP 042) are made in China and the "intermediate" ones (JP 242) are made in Taiwan. I have not played either, but opinions about the Chinese JP instruments seem to vary - some people say they are excellent value for money, while others are less keen. But the 242 ought to be fine.

If you want a new horn, then Elkhart Deluxe and Antigua would be other possible brands at less than £1000. Or if you are happy with a second-hand one, then Yamaha is also a possibility.

I have been told that the cheaper JP horns (JP 042) are made in China and the "intermediate" ones (JP 242) are made in Taiwan. I have not played either, but opinions about the Chinese JP instruments seem to vary - some people say they are excellent value for money, while others are less keen. But the 242 ought to be fine.

If you want a new horn, then Elkhart Deluxe and Antigua would be other possible brands at less than £1000. Or if you are happy with a second-hand one, then Yamaha is also a possibility.

Thank you for all your excellent advice. The main reason I was drawn to this one is because at £779 it seemed like a really great deal. I'm willing to wait and shop around but wanted to snag this up if the price is right. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

I have a JP 245 Soprano and it's a very nice instrument. Go for it.

I have played John Packer saxes,and have one at the moment. I think they're very good value in the cheaper ranges. This one is a bit more,but as a new, warrantied sax from a very reputable supplier it looks like good value

I have just chased down a JP 141 alto as it was my first sax and hard to find, if a bit on the heavy side. I think there pretty good i pxed mine for a hanson but sentimentally always wished id kept it. I think the Hansons great (another option for you) but the JP sounds different...well built and lovely tone...

I've played a few JP saxes and still have one of their baris, as does my ex-teacher - they are the best "budget" saxes I have come across.

Back
Top Bottom