support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

It's 10 PM. Do you know where your creative content is?

Account Closed
My wife and I were just remembering a funny thing that a clerk in Radio Shack told us. We were buying diskettes and he was showing us the new 5 Megabyte hard drive. Yes, that('s right, 5 Megabytes, and he said, "Scary, no?"

The first "thumb drive" (USB key) I bought was all of 64 Megs, and cost about as many dollars.

Today, on Amazon UK, a 128 GB USB key can be had for under £20. That's 2,000 times more data, faster transfer rate and probably about one half the cost (in year 2000 currency).

Point: There's no excuse for not backing up your data. Local backups are better than the cloud, but both is the best solution.
For really important data, you want it on the cloud and in separate two locations.
As per a discussion about the permanence of your music online, there isn't any, certainly not free.
You can get online storage fairly cheap, $5 per month for a terabyte or use Google Drive or Microsoft or whatever, Box, Dropbox, etc etc. But free has no guarantee.

So I get back to local storage. It's the way to go, and it's so inexpensive you can send several CDs worth of music to anyone for the price of a designer coffee.

I've also given away cheap USB keys to people when I played at a local café (one of the last times). We can lament the days when there were albums and covers, but most people under 50 are streaming or listening on a phone. Your phone actually may have enough space to back up a lot of your music, too.

How the world changes, modern technology has massive cheap storage.
And compared to a five meg drive.
First computer I worked on had a storage of 4K and two cabinet tape drives.
I think the backup was in pencil on the back of a fag packet.

When I started in IT 35 or more years ago, the company had just moved to fixed hard disk drives instead of movable. The drives were the size of a washing machine, cost $20k each and held 750mb. They came in pairs so 1.5gb per pair. These came in 'strings' of I think four pairs, so 6gb so $160k. I think we had 120gb online in each compute centre. My phone is 128gb, the card in my camera is 64gb... (and the available working storage to process overnight was 2kb...)

Yes I used to change the 300MB cake plate movables in the washing machine. The machine cost 300,000 francs, something around 50k.

Yes also my first computer had an extension to bring RAM to a whopping 48K. But because of the advances made, we now produce hundreds of MB a day, and now with video, GB sometimes. So, you need a policy to backup and store this data. If it's important, in three places, otherwise on paper if it's music.