support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

iMac help required

I'm just seeing this now. Like many commenters above, I moved from Windows to Mac. I didn't see anyone ask you what you want to do with this box. I have three Macs, and two are no longer upgradeable because they were made before 2013. They still run beautifully, doing everything I need them for. I bought the newer one because I needed a little more power to run heavier music software. There are many different aspects that make a computer efficient, but the number one technical progress has been Solid State Drives, SSD. Almost everything you'd want to do is limited to the speed of your drive. In the old days I built and repaired my Windows (or lLinux) boxes, but Apple makes that harder to the point where I let professional techs do such things with a warranty. When I wanted to add an SSD to the older Mac, I did that. The SSD died less than a year later and was replaced under warranty. It's fairly rare that they fail, as they have no moving parts, but it does happen.

I recently ran Parallels to help a friend solve his Windows issue, but when the free trial ended I removed it. I had bought it years ago and it does work amazingly well, but I dropped because I didn't need it.

Good luck with whatever you want to do, there are plenty of folks here who can help if you have other issues.

I'm just seeing this now. Like many commenters above, I moved from Windows to Mac. I didn't see anyone ask you what you want to do with this box. I have three Macs, and two are no longer upgradeable because they were made before 2013. They still run beautifully, doing everything I need them for. I bought the newer one because I needed a little more power to run heavier music software. There are many different aspects that make a computer efficient, but the number one technical progress has been Solid State Drives, SSD. Almost everything you'd want to do is limited to the speed of your drive. In the old days I built and repaired my Windows (or lLinux) boxes, but Apple makes that harder to the point where I let professional techs do such things with a warranty. When I wanted to add an SSD to the older Mac, I did that. The SSD died less than a year later and was replaced under warranty. It's fairly rare that they fail, as they have no moving parts, but it does happen.

I recently ran Parallels to help a friend solve his Windows issue, but when the free trial ended I removed it. I had bought it years ago and it does work amazingly well, but I dropped because I didn't need it.

Good luck with whatever you want to do, there are plenty of folks here who can help if you have other issues.
have a look at rEFIt, it is a big help for installing linux or one of the BSDs on a mac.

If you are using a Mac use a Mac. It's just a question of adjusting to a different way of working. Mac do what Windows computers do, it just tends to be easier, but more intuitive. Windows users seem to be obsessed by the need to use computer speak, it doesn't make any difference. One works without the need to input computer jargon, if you really want that then Apple offers the same you just need to learn the new, slightly different, strokes.

If you are using a Mac use a Mac. It's just a question of adjusting to a different way of working. Mac do what Windows computers do, it just tends to be easier, but more intuitive. Windows users seem to be obsessed by the need to use computer speak, it doesn't make any difference. One works without the need to input computer jargon, if you really want that then Apple offers the same you just need to learn the new, slightly different, strokes.
That works fine for a nice new Mac. Less so for a still working old Mac where you can't get any of the very important security updates because Apple has abandoned it. Happily, Linux and the BSDs are available to fix that little problem! I suppose I should say choose one of the Linux distributions, the BDSs can be a steep learning curve.

That works fine for a nice new Mac. Less so for a still working old Mac where you can't get any of the very important security updates because Apple has abandoned it. Happily, Linux and the BSDs are available to fix that little problem! I suppose I should say choose one of the Linux distributions, the BDSs can be a steep learning curve.
As you said security updates stopped for this imac a couple of years before it was given to me. Decided to change it to windows because I already have windows software in use on other computers and don't want to have to learn to use any more.