support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello.

_Dan_

Hello.
I guess I'm a pre-novice saxophone player (form the UK).

I've previously played noisy guitar as a teenager and had a stab at jazz piano in my 30s.
Now in my mid-40s I've decided that I need a new challenge and, partly inspired by my love of the music of John Coltrane, reckon learning to play the saxophone should be it.

I tried a few altos out recently in a shop (as well as a complete novice can) having read that alto is the usual instrument for beginners. But almost as an afterthought had a try of a tenor just as I was finishing up. Possibly because I'd been 'playing' altos for 20 minutes, it seemed as though the tenor played more easily and sounded better.

So I'm now trying to decide:

a) whether to get an alto or tenor
b) what instrument

Not being able to play makes the choice hard. I'm leaning to the tenor and YTS-280, thinking the Yamaha would be the 'safe' choice. Ideally I'd like something with more character - both in terms of looks and sound - but I suspect getting up to speed on the Yamaha with an upgrade as a reward in a few years if I'm 'worth it' by then is probably the sensible option.

I think I need to just commit to decided by a date in the very near future so that I can stop thinking about it and start playing!

Dan

I tried a few altos out recently in a shop (as well as a complete novice can) having read that alto is the usual instrument for beginners.
If it is it is only because:

1) it's cheaper

and

2) being smaller it is at a more appropriate scale and weight for kids

But given that you aren't a kid, that argument is moot.

....partly inspired by my love of the music of John Coltrane, reckon learning to play the saxophone should be it.

... it seemed as though the tenor played more easily and sounded better.

So I'm now trying to decide:

a) whether to get an alto or tenor...
You've already answered that question all by yourself.

b) what instrument

Not being able to play makes the choice hard. I'm leaning to the tenor and YTS-280, thinking the Yamaha would be the 'safe' choice. Ideally I'd like something with more character - both in terms of looks and sound - but I suspect getting up to speed on the Yamaha with an upgrade as a reward in a few years if I'm 'worth it' by then is probably the sensible option.
It's NOT a BAD way to go. Yamaha student models are basically the 'default' beginner horn, really...has been that way for a generation. Reliable, free-blowing, and most people thing ergonomically very good (I disagree with the last point, personally, but I will not digress).
As you noted, sonically...not exactly inspiring...but tone can be massaged by mouthpiece choice and such.
So just going with a model which has these attributes, given again, as you said...you don't really have any experience with sax and therefore probably cannot make distinctions between more subtle sonic and ergonomic qualities of different models...is not a bad idea.

Yamaha isn't the ONLY mfr. that would fit this bill. Not sure if you are gonna buy new (a 280 new runs around ₤1250 or so, which isn't a bad price for a brand new tenor, really. Second hand, significantly cheaper.

Last edited:
... Jupiter and Buffet I would add to a short list of reliable, good-quality models that have a respectable track record, in that general price range.

Now...you COULD save several pounds and buy a new horn of a recent manufacturer...there are so many of them around now, and some of them have gotten some decent reviews (from objective sources, I mean - no point hanging your hat on 'buyer reviews' of models which have only been around for 4 or so years because that tells you very little, really). But there are a slew of those as well, some available for under ₤1000 new...

But again, dunno if you wanna open that door or not.

Thanks for some pointers… My thoughts are that buying new makes sense as I don't know what I'm doing and nor do I know anyone suitably informed to help. At least with new if I buy from somewhere reputable I'll have their support.

It's trying to get an appropriate balance of cost, quality, and longevity - and factoring in my longevity as a player!

I kind of think if I spend enough (but no more) to get a decent instrument (and the Yamaha seems the sensible choice) it should have decent resale value. It will then either be good enough for me - potentially for years, maybe ever! - or if I get good enough, at both playing and hearing, I'll be keen enough to sell it and buy something more special.

Looks-wise I'd much prefer unlacquered, but I'm trying to ignore that for now as, I think, it would mean more money and really what I need is something that will help me get to grips with things as quickly as a can. That said, the Conn-Selmer PAS-380V both looks good and gets good reviews… but is another £1,000 or so over the YTS-280.

Or the BUFFET 400 SERIES TENOR vintage finish is pretty close to the YTS-280 in price and has the advantage of being more aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm trying to convince myself that looks really aren't important. Yet despite the fact I'm likely to play only at home for a few years at least it does matter a bit; I bought my most expensive guitar years ago purely on looks! (although to be fair, huge amounts of distortion and effects meant the guitar's sound didn't separately matter then).

This writing stuff down is helping…

• Yamaha YTS-280 tenor
  • Buffet 400 tenor vintage finish

Both close to £1,500.

Does that seem a decent shortlist?

How would the following 2 Trevor James tenors compare?

• Horn Classes II (a lot cheaper)
  • SR Evo (a bit cheaper) - although the union flag emblem on the neck is a turn off on this model

While I intend trying (or hearing) in a shop before I buy I don't have anywhere nearby and so getting to see/feel/hear different instruments involves quite a bit of effort so I'm trying to have a clear shortlist first.

Good short list, you can also look at a Buffet 100 as I find those to be very respectable and are quite similar to a 400.

I do not know Trevor James horns myself, although I believe a number of members here have experienced some. Perhaps they will chime in.

Your logic is pretty solid, really. As you have no sax-playing ally available, it'd be best to steer clear of used given you can afford to. If your budget were, say, 600 pounds, then that might be a different story, But you can afford a good, reputable new Tenor, so go that direction, methinks.

I would drop the notion of bare brass right now...you may not wanna get into a bare brass horn due to how it may need to be upkept (there are valid debates on this, I won't get into it here).

The question of how a newbie can 'playtest' a horn if they dunno how to play (and do not have a sax playing ally available)....that is a good one. And this may be a good reason to just buy something reputed and sorta 'default'. It's a known quantity/quality.

Last edited:
would drop the notion of bare brass right now...you may not wanna get into a bare brass horn due to how it may need to be upkept (there are valid debates on this, I won't get into it here).

That's good to know. And perhaps a reminder that I should stick to the brief of an instrument to take me from complete beginner to being able to make a reasonable sound as quickly as possible. And to leave any thought of getting fancy to another time… when I can play well!

Welcome to the Café.

I haven’t played a Yamaha 280 tenor, but I once owned an alto and it was excellent - the most fun alto I have played.

A much cheaper alternative would be a Jericho tenor. I haven’t tried one myself, but they have a good reputation.
Jericho Saxophones - Home of the much loved Jericho Alto & Tenor Sax

Or there is a very good secondhand Sequoia tenor sax in the Café Yardsale, if it is still available:
For Sale - Sequoia Lemon Tenor Saxophone

Or rather than buying a saxophone, you could rent one for a while. Then you could either buy the one you have got (the rental fees should count towards the purchase price) or you would be better qualified to choose something else.

This firm has a good reputation for rentals:

I'd written renting off on the basis of not having anything at the end… but renting with the ability to put the rental monies paid towards buying seems like a great idea. Thanks for the link - I've only had a quick look but it sounds like it probably is the best option; it looks like they have plenty to chose from too. And the offer of a free 1 hour lesson (albeit after a drive of a couple of hours) could be the clincher!

Welcome to the Cafe. I was in the same position as yourself a few Years back. I'm still with my YTS 280 after 3 Years. No complaints, and on the odd occasion someone who can really play has put air through it, it certainly sounds characterful enough to me. Quality in = Quality out. Plenty of options though, so good luck with your choice.

One day I thought I fancy playing the saxophone and in complete ignorance bought a new Hanson tenor.
Somewhat less ignorant and still happy with it ten years later.

Last edited:
Hi welcome.

Yamahas are reliable, have good ergonomics from my (limited) experience of playing them (I don't own one). They also hold their value well so if you ever decide to 'upgrade' you'll be in a good position.

As well as Yamaha YTS280, a couple of Trevor James horns, and their own-brand low-cost tenor, Headwind in Bristol have a used Hanson tenor on their website which would definitely be worth a look. Hanson are a UK company with a good reputation for quality. Several Café members have Hansons.

The folk in Headwind are very helpful and you needn’t feel embarrased about being a beginner - they are used to it. So why not visit them and have a blow of a few horns? You can also ask the assistant to play them to see if you notice a difference.

Back
Top Bottom